‘Canes hire new head coach

ESPN.com
reported Thursday night that the University of Miami selected Defensive Coordinator Randy Shannon as the next head coach of the football team.

Shannon is the most tenured member of the remaining staff beginning his current stay at Miami in 2001 as a hire of former Head Coach Larry Coker.

Shannon has built a reputation as a defensive mastermind. Miami ranked fifth in total defense in Division I-A this season, allowing only 252.1 yards per game this season.

Shannon is a familiar name to those who follow the ‘Canes. He was a four-year letterman at linebacker and a member of Miami’s 1987 national championship team. He began his sideline career as a graduate assistant at Miami in 1991, and briefly worked with the Miami Dolphins from 1998 to 2000.

Shannon will become the sixth African-American currently coaching in Division I-A football.

The university is expected to hold a press conference Friday morning to announce Shannon’s hiring.

Matthew Bunch may be reached at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...