Art professor dies after battle with cancer

University of Miami ceramics professor Christine Federighi died Saturday, Nov. 18, following a 12-year battle with breast cancer. Federighi was a member of the UM faculty for 32 years, joining the UM community in 1974. She served for many years as head of the ceramics department.

Federighi’s distinctive artwork won local, national, and international acclaim, and consisted of life-size human figures, environmental installations and folk animals.

She was a five-time recipient of the State of Florida’s Individual Artist Grants and won a National Enforment for the Arts award. She was particularly influenced by American Indian as well as other tribal art.

A memorial for Federighi took place on Nov. 28 at the Lowe Art Museum with about 200 of her students, colleagues, friends and family in attendance.

A fund in Federighi’s name has also been established to provide money for University of Miami art students who cannot otherwise afford to attend specialized summer art schools, seminars and workshops.

Donations to the Christine Federighi Educational Fund may be made by contacting the Division of University Advancement.

A memoriam exhibition of Federighi’s work is planned for sometime in April at the Lowe Art Museum.

Federighi grew up in San Mateo, Calif., and is survived by her two brothers, Ron and Mark Federighi, as well as her sister, Kari Federighi Mose.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...