WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Blessings run out against Saint Mary’s

Miami’s women’s basketball team was on the west coast this weekend, and the trip proved to be more exciting than they may have predicted. Saint Mary’s College of California handed the ‘Canes their first defeat of the season 69-68 on Friday night, just two days after scraping out an 85-83 victory over Santa Clara.

The ‘Canes (3-1) were once again trying to mount a sizeable comeback after finding themselves down 11 with 4:21 left to play. After a 14-6 run, it appeared that the Miami was well on its way to completing their second double-digit comeback in as many games. However, senior guard Renee Taylor, who finished with 22 points, missed the go-ahead shot with four seconds left, and the team’s fate was sealed.

Taylor led the team with her 22 points, hitting the only three-pointer of the night for Miami. Maurita Reid and Albrey Grimsley also scored in double-digits, putting in 13 and 10 points respectively.

The ‘Canes defense was stifling in the first half, holding the Gaels (1-1) to a 20.7 field goal percentage, off of 6-29 shooting, which contributed heavily to Miami’s 33-21 lead at the break.

However, adjustments were made in the locker room, and the Gaels started the second half with a 17-3 run. Saint Mary’s shot 57.1 percent for the remainder of the game. They finished with 48 points after halftime.

One thing that hampered the ‘Canes was their shooting from beyond the arc. Head Coach Katie Meier has previously been very excited with the team’s three point shooting, especially the 42.9 percent performance they had against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Nov. 13. However, the team shot an anemic 1-12 from three-point range Friday night, contributing greatly to their defeat.

The ‘Canes are back in action in Coral Gables for the Thanksgiving Tournament Friday night against Nicholls State.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...