WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Blessings run out against Saint Mary’s

Miami’s women’s basketball team was on the west coast this weekend, and the trip proved to be more exciting than they may have predicted. Saint Mary’s College of California handed the ‘Canes their first defeat of the season 69-68 on Friday night, just two days after scraping out an 85-83 victory over Santa Clara.

The ‘Canes (3-1) were once again trying to mount a sizeable comeback after finding themselves down 11 with 4:21 left to play. After a 14-6 run, it appeared that the Miami was well on its way to completing their second double-digit comeback in as many games. However, senior guard Renee Taylor, who finished with 22 points, missed the go-ahead shot with four seconds left, and the team’s fate was sealed.

Taylor led the team with her 22 points, hitting the only three-pointer of the night for Miami. Maurita Reid and Albrey Grimsley also scored in double-digits, putting in 13 and 10 points respectively.

The ‘Canes defense was stifling in the first half, holding the Gaels (1-1) to a 20.7 field goal percentage, off of 6-29 shooting, which contributed heavily to Miami’s 33-21 lead at the break.

However, adjustments were made in the locker room, and the Gaels started the second half with a 17-3 run. Saint Mary’s shot 57.1 percent for the remainder of the game. They finished with 48 points after halftime.

One thing that hampered the ‘Canes was their shooting from beyond the arc. Head Coach Katie Meier has previously been very excited with the team’s three point shooting, especially the 42.9 percent performance they had against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Nov. 13. However, the team shot an anemic 1-12 from three-point range Friday night, contributing greatly to their defeat.

The ‘Canes are back in action in Coral Gables for the Thanksgiving Tournament Friday night against Nicholls State.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...