Sports Briefs

VOLLYBALL
Volleyball splits the weekend

Miami split a pair of matches this weekend against by losing to the University of North Carolina 1-3 (30-12, 30-24, 30-28, 30-26) and beating North Carolina State 3-0 (30-23, 30-22, 30-26). The Hurricanes move to 11-18 overall and 8-12 in Atlantic Coast Conference play.

In the first match, North Carolina dominated the first game from start to finish and easily took the first game 30-12.

The second game saw 10 tied scores and six lead changes. Miami would ultimately come away with the victory in the game 30-24.

Miami jumped out to an early 16-11 lead in game three. The Hurricanes extended their advantage to 24-17. The Tar Heels came from behind to take the game 30-28.

The ‘Canes trailed in the final game until they tied the score at 25-all. UNC pulled away at the end of the match and defeated Miami 30-26.

In the second match, Miami put game one away over NC State following an Angelica Eills kill that put the ‘Canes up 16-15. UM easily went on to take the game 30-23.

The Hurricanes jumped out to an early 20-12 lead against the Wolf pack in game two. Miami cruised to an easy 30-22 victory to take a 2-0 in the match.

Miami took the final game 30-26. The ‘Canes held leads of 15-10 and 24-17 before wrapping up the game and the match.

Statistical leaders for Miami included outside hitter Frannie Savage who led Miami in two matches with a combined 20 kills. Setter Jill Robinson posted 67 assists total. Senior Ann Gallo provided 38 digs over the weekend.

FOOTBALL
Reddick rejoins team

Safety Anthony Reddick was reinstated to the team and was active for the team’s game against Virginia on Saturday.

Reddick had been suspended indefinitely for his actions following an Oct. 14 brawl with Florida International University.

After the brawl erupted, Reddick could be seen swinging his helmet at FIU players.

FOOTBALL
UM receiver pleads no contest

Miami receiver Ryan Moore pleaded no contest to two charges that stem from an on-campus altercation involving two women.

Moore entered a prearranged pre-trail program that will keep his record clear as long as he completes 50 hours of community service, anger management courses and pays $1,307 in damages he caused by kicking the car of one of the victims.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...