Public Safety – Weekly Safety Tip

Each year 46,000 cyclists are injured and 600 cyclists are killed in collisions with motor vehicles.

The Department of Public Safety recognizes that many students at the University of Miami use bicycles to get around campus and to get around the city. Cycling is a healthy and efficient means of transportation, so long as student cyclists practice the basics of bicycle safety. First and foremost, wear a helmet; more than 70% of bicycle-related fatalities result from head injuries. Always ride with motor vehicle traffic, and in a straight and predictable path. Stay alert at all times; watch out for potholes, cracks, expansion joints, railroad tracks, wet leaves, drainage grates, or anything else that could make you fall. Wear clothes that make you highly visible during the day, in the evening, and at night; cyclist apparel with integrated reflectors provide an extra level of visibility. Lastly, protect your bicycle by keeping it locked to a bicycle rack with a sturdy lock. If you don’t have one, the Department of Public Safety provides free U-style bicycle locks. Further information on bicycle safety and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/publicsafety or through the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...