Public Safety – Weekly Safety Tip

Each year 46,000 cyclists are injured and 600 cyclists are killed in collisions with motor vehicles.

The Department of Public Safety recognizes that many students at the University of Miami use bicycles to get around campus and to get around the city. Cycling is a healthy and efficient means of transportation, so long as student cyclists practice the basics of bicycle safety. First and foremost, wear a helmet; more than 70% of bicycle-related fatalities result from head injuries. Always ride with motor vehicle traffic, and in a straight and predictable path. Stay alert at all times; watch out for potholes, cracks, expansion joints, railroad tracks, wet leaves, drainage grates, or anything else that could make you fall. Wear clothes that make you highly visible during the day, in the evening, and at night; cyclist apparel with integrated reflectors provide an extra level of visibility. Lastly, protect your bicycle by keeping it locked to a bicycle rack with a sturdy lock. If you don’t have one, the Department of Public Safety provides free U-style bicycle locks. Further information on bicycle safety and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/publicsafety or through the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...