Sports Briefs

Volleyball

Seniors Frannie Savage, Jill Robinson, Ann Gallo and Sara Duncan fell short in their effort to win on senior night last Saturday. Virginia defeated Miami 3-1 (26-30, 30-24, 30-24, 30-26).

With the victory, Virginia improves to 20-6 overall and 13-4 in Atlantic Coast Conference play. Miami drops to 10-16 and 7-10 in the ACC.

Savage had 11 kills, putting her 11 kills away from 400 on the season.

Robinson put together her 13th double-double on the season with 42 assists and 10 digs.

Gallo led the team with 19 digs and leads Miami overall with 271 on the year.

Duncan has started 10 of the 24 matches she has appeared in this season. She has totaled 127 kills in her final season.

The Hurricanes play their final four matches on the road.

Men’s Basketball

Head Coach Frank Haith announced the signing of Miami Senior High guard Edwin Rios and Southern Durham High School’s Julian Gamble.

Rios is the 16th ranked point guard by Scout.com. In 2005, Rios led Miami Senior to a Class 6A title and was named 1st team All-State.

Gamble attends the same high school that current Miami center Anthony King graduated from. Gamble is the 22nd ranked center by Scout.com.

Rios averaged 17 points per game to lead Southern Durham to a 19-10 record last season.

Women’s Basketball

Head Coach Katie Meier announced the signing of three players for next season. Briyana Blair, Damisha Moore and Epiphany Woodson all signed letters of intent to play for Miami.

Blair is a 5 foot 10 inch guard/forward out of Orlando, Fla. She averaged 12 points and 4.8 rebounds last season at Boone High School in route to her second straight All-State Honorable Mention selection.

Moore has averaged at least 25 points and 11 rebounds over the past two seasons at Cartersville (Ga.) High School. She is a two-time Atlanta Journal Constitution First Team selection.

Woodson is the most decorated of the three players. She is a 2007 McDonald’s All-America nominee, 2006 Street and Smith Preseason Honorable Mention All-American and is ranked as one of the top 100 players by Scout.com.

Men’s Tennis

Head Coach Mario Rincon has announced the 2007 spring dual meet men’s tennis schedule. Miami’s schedule features 11 home matches.

Of the 19 overall matches, 11 of the matches will be against teams that participated in the 2006 NCAA Tournament.

The Hurricanes will open the spring season on Jan. 24 against Stetson at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...