Editorial: THE TIDES HAVE CHANGED; SO MUST AMERICA’S COURSE

America has spoken. For the first time in over a decade, the Democrats control the legislature after voters elected a Democratic majority in both the House and the Senate. The message is clear: a botched up war, an eroded constitution, and several moral/financial scandals later, we, the people, are fed up, and need a change – sooner rather than later.

On top of that, the Democrats also won the majority of governorships, and voters rejected intrusive measures, born from Republican values, such as an abortion ban in South Dakota, a stem cell research ban in Missouri, and a gay marriage ban in Arizona. Even before the Democrats took the Senate, Bush appeared humbled, being reminded of who put him into power, and who he has to answer to. Rumsfeld resigned the day after the elections, in a move more symbolic of the stirring undercurrents of change in Washington than any Democratic victory. The proverbial rearranging of the deck chairs might actually make a difference this time around.

It’s not about Bush bashing, either. If it were the Democrats who’ve been in power this long and the country was in the position it is in now, it would have been just as good to vote the Republicans into power. Point is, something needed to change, no matter who or what.

That’s not to say change will come easy or quickly. Reversing the damage the Bush Administration has done will be a Herculean task, especially concerning Iraq.

It’s too early to tell whether or not the Democrats will play more to the center or to the left. It will be a long road uphill, and it’s vital the Democrats reverse the trend and get America out of this rut we are in, for the sake of our country.

It will also require patience from the public. The populace needs to realize that nations aren’t built (or rebuilt, in this case) in a day, and must be patient with our new legislature – always watchful and vigilant, but patient, at the same time.

It doesn’t take much looking around to realize America is currently in decline. If, despite their best efforts, the Democrats can’t make things better, surely the decline will continue to be rocky and painful, probably only increasingly so as the people of this country and the world at large really get fed up. Hopefully, it won’t come to that, but the good news is that the American people gave their country one last chance on Nov. 7. It would be wise to not pass up such a window of opportunity to make America the beautiful, mighty and free nation she once was.

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...