Editorial: THE TIDES HAVE CHANGED; SO MUST AMERICA’S COURSE

America has spoken. For the first time in over a decade, the Democrats control the legislature after voters elected a Democratic majority in both the House and the Senate. The message is clear: a botched up war, an eroded constitution, and several moral/financial scandals later, we, the people, are fed up, and need a change – sooner rather than later.

On top of that, the Democrats also won the majority of governorships, and voters rejected intrusive measures, born from Republican values, such as an abortion ban in South Dakota, a stem cell research ban in Missouri, and a gay marriage ban in Arizona. Even before the Democrats took the Senate, Bush appeared humbled, being reminded of who put him into power, and who he has to answer to. Rumsfeld resigned the day after the elections, in a move more symbolic of the stirring undercurrents of change in Washington than any Democratic victory. The proverbial rearranging of the deck chairs might actually make a difference this time around.

It’s not about Bush bashing, either. If it were the Democrats who’ve been in power this long and the country was in the position it is in now, it would have been just as good to vote the Republicans into power. Point is, something needed to change, no matter who or what.

That’s not to say change will come easy or quickly. Reversing the damage the Bush Administration has done will be a Herculean task, especially concerning Iraq.

It’s too early to tell whether or not the Democrats will play more to the center or to the left. It will be a long road uphill, and it’s vital the Democrats reverse the trend and get America out of this rut we are in, for the sake of our country.

It will also require patience from the public. The populace needs to realize that nations aren’t built (or rebuilt, in this case) in a day, and must be patient with our new legislature – always watchful and vigilant, but patient, at the same time.

It doesn’t take much looking around to realize America is currently in decline. If, despite their best efforts, the Democrats can’t make things better, surely the decline will continue to be rocky and painful, probably only increasingly so as the people of this country and the world at large really get fed up. Hopefully, it won’t come to that, but the good news is that the American people gave their country one last chance on Nov. 7. It would be wise to not pass up such a window of opportunity to make America the beautiful, mighty and free nation she once was.

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...