News Briefs

UMNews

Renowned psychologist joins School of Education

Donald Meichenbaum, Ph.D., a prominent psychotherapist and one of the founders of cognitive behavior therapy, will join the University of Miami as a distinguished visiting professor in the School of Education.

In his book Cognitive Behavior Modification: An Integrative Approach, Meichenbaum cites the encouragement of personal happiness combined with the improvement of environmental conditions as beneficial to developing the quality of life for children, adolescents and whole communities.

Currently Meichenbaum works as the research director for the Melissa Institute for Violence Prevention and Treatment of Victims in Miami, as well as distinguished professor emeritus at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada.

Move-in date for University Village residents postponed

The move-in date for residents of building one has been pushed back to Dec. 1 due to continued construction delays. Accommodations at the Holiday Inn and meal plans have been extended for this period, and rent for the month of November has been waived.

ELSEWhere

Web site exposes aviation security lapse

PHIL BENNETT // SPARTAN DAILY (SAN JOSE STATE U.)

(U-WIRE) SAN JOSE, Calif. – On Oct. 27, a 24-year-old computer security student at Indiana University-Bloomington named Christopher Soghoian created a Web site that allows people to create fake boarding passes for Northwest Airlines flights, according to ABCNews.com.

Some students believe that Soghoian’s actions warrant punishment. Others feel that Soghoian’s production of this Web site does not warrant his imprisonment.

“I don’t believe that Soghoian should go to prison, since he never actually attempted to use the tickets,” said Jessica Jeronimus, an aviation major.

Soghoian told ABCNews.com it’s the only way to show people how deeply flawed airport and airline security are.

According to CNN.com, the Transportation Security Administration said that what Soghoian has done is illegal and that using one of these fake boarding passes would be illegal as well.

ETC

Three award-winning films by UM film students will be screened at Books & Books’ Films in the Courtyard on Saturday, Nov. 11, at 8:30 p.m. The filmmakers will be present for a Q&A session after the screening. Free admission.

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...