News Briefs

UMNews

Renowned psychologist joins School of Education

Donald Meichenbaum, Ph.D., a prominent psychotherapist and one of the founders of cognitive behavior therapy, will join the University of Miami as a distinguished visiting professor in the School of Education.

In his book Cognitive Behavior Modification: An Integrative Approach, Meichenbaum cites the encouragement of personal happiness combined with the improvement of environmental conditions as beneficial to developing the quality of life for children, adolescents and whole communities.

Currently Meichenbaum works as the research director for the Melissa Institute for Violence Prevention and Treatment of Victims in Miami, as well as distinguished professor emeritus at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada.

Move-in date for University Village residents postponed

The move-in date for residents of building one has been pushed back to Dec. 1 due to continued construction delays. Accommodations at the Holiday Inn and meal plans have been extended for this period, and rent for the month of November has been waived.

ELSEWhere

Web site exposes aviation security lapse

PHIL BENNETT // SPARTAN DAILY (SAN JOSE STATE U.)

(U-WIRE) SAN JOSE, Calif. – On Oct. 27, a 24-year-old computer security student at Indiana University-Bloomington named Christopher Soghoian created a Web site that allows people to create fake boarding passes for Northwest Airlines flights, according to ABCNews.com.

Some students believe that Soghoian’s actions warrant punishment. Others feel that Soghoian’s production of this Web site does not warrant his imprisonment.

“I don’t believe that Soghoian should go to prison, since he never actually attempted to use the tickets,” said Jessica Jeronimus, an aviation major.

Soghoian told ABCNews.com it’s the only way to show people how deeply flawed airport and airline security are.

According to CNN.com, the Transportation Security Administration said that what Soghoian has done is illegal and that using one of these fake boarding passes would be illegal as well.

ETC

Three award-winning films by UM film students will be screened at Books & Books’ Films in the Courtyard on Saturday, Nov. 11, at 8:30 p.m. The filmmakers will be present for a Q&A session after the screening. Free admission.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...