MATCHUP: MIAMI vs. MARYLAND

OFFENSE: Maryland’s passing game managed one score against a tough Clemson defense to be the determining factor in the Terps upset win last week. With key Hurricane starters injured, the offensive struggles look to continue, but with the death of Bryan Pata, I would expect Miami to play with everything they have in his memory.
Advantage: Maryland

O-LINE: Miami’s group allowed two sacks but had difficulty opening running lanes and allowed Virginia Tech’s D-Line to deflect several passes. Maryland’s line had similar troubles.
Advantage: Even

RUNNING BACKS: Maryland’s Lance Ball is normally the premier back, but Keon Lattimore got the start against Clemson. Both like to run between the tackles, but struggled last week. Javarris James has had problems staying healthy for an entire game and Tyrone Moss had a 50-yard run for the lone Miami touchdown.
Advantage: Even

RECEIVERS: Greg Olsen has been hurt this week, which is another big problem for Miami. Maryland spread the wealth against Clemson with four receivers having more than four catches.
Advantage: Maryland

QUARTERBACKS: Kyle Wright will possibly sit out this week with a sprained right thumb giving Kirby Freeman the start. Freeman threw a pick and fumbled last week against VT. Maryland’s Sam Hollenbach, normally knocked for throwing a lot of interceptions had the game of his career, with 247 yards and a touchdown.
Advantage: Maryland

DEFENSE: Playing a football game on the road after the death of a teammate is something I would never wish any team to experience. Miami will obviously play with heavy hearts, but high emotions. Maryland’s defense kept Clemson out of the endzone.
Advantage: MIAMI

D-LINE: With the death of Pata, Miami’s defensive line will likely play in his memory. This will likely include another break-out performance by Calais Campbell, who has eight sacks this season. Maryland’s Conrad Bolston was great against FSU.
Advantage: MIAMI

LINEBACKERS: Maryland’s Erin Henderson was everywhere against Clemson, recording 18 total tackles, nine solo and forced the fumble that should have resulted in a safety. Miami continues to have the third best rushing defense in the country allowing an average of 64.4 yards a game. A lot of the credit goes to the linebackers.
Advantage: MIAMI

SECONDARY: Josh Wilson was the most productive for Maryland from is corner position. He made a touchdown saving tackle on James Davis, one of his seven solo tackles. Besides some problems with penalties, Miami’s secondary has been a team of sacrifice. Miami has yet to return a pick for a score.
Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS: Bruce Johnson nearly returned a punt for a score against VT and Jon Peattie nailed a 55-yard field goal, which was the catalyst for Miami’s second half surge. Dan Ennis hit a 31-yard field goal as time expired for Maryland to upset Clemson.
Advantage: Even

Rodolfo Tomarchio may be contacted at r.tomarchio@umiami.edu.