Volleyball continues skid, loses two straight

Miami’s volleyball team dropped to 9-16 overall and 6-10 in Atlantic Coast Conference play following two tight losses to Georgia Tech and Clemson at the Knight Sports Complex last weekend.

The Hurricanes had multiple scoring runs but were unable to sustain those runs, losing three games by three points or less.

“Volleyball is a huge momentum game,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “You have to not put yourself in holes, so that you don’t need to change [momentum]so often.”

On Nov. 3, Miami took Georgia Tech to five games but lost the final game (18-16) and the match.

Miami controlled game one in a 30-18 win. Georgia Tech made 11 errors and the Hurricanes provided 15 kills on offense.

The Yellow Jackets used their .564 hitting percentage to help put 24 kills on Miami. Georgia Tech won the match 30-23.

The Yellow Jackets used the momentum and dominated game three 30-16.

Miami came back and edged out Georgia Tech in game four 32-30 following a strong .400 hitting percentage and 19 kills. The Hurricanes took an early 13-8 lead with the Yellow Jackets coming back in the second half. Sara Duncan, Jill Robinson and Frannie Savage provided the finals kills for the Hurricanes’ game four win.

Miami was able to jump out to an early 10-6 lead in game five. Georgia Tech was able to battle back and tie the game at 15-all and 16-all. The Yellow Jackets got back-to-back kills from Talisa Kellogg and Allie Niekamp to win.

Statistical leaders for Miami included Ciara Michel with 14 kills and Jill Robinson who contributed 44 assists.

The first two games against Clemson were split by Miami on Nov. 5. The Tigers took advantage by winning game one 30-18. The Hurricanes answered back with a 30-23 victory in game two.

Clemson took sizable leads in both games three and four. The Tigers took game three 30-27 and game four 30-28 to win the match.

“We’re fighting till the bitter end against every team we play,” Lantange Welch said. “Where we are playing is so close to everyone right now, it’s not going to take much. Just a little more execution and we can have a great finish to our season.”

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...