Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami began play in two tournaments, the ITA National Indoors and Palm Springs Invite.

In the ITA, Audra Cohen defeated Anna Lubinsky of Texas A&M (6-1, 6-2) to advance into second round. Cohen went on and defeated Georgia’s Natalie Frazier (6-4, 6-3). Cohen won her third match against Florida’s Diana Srebrovic (6-4, 6-2) and will move into the main draw finals, which will feature Cohen against Melanie Gloria of Fresno State.

In the singles “A” draw in Palm Springs, Laura Vallverdu and Romy Farah advanced to the quarterfinals. Vallverdu defeated Whitney McCray and Tracy Lin of Georgia Tech and UCLA respectively. Farah won two matches against Diane Matias of USC and UCLA’s Alex McGoodwin. Audrey Banada was eliminated in the first round.

Caren Seenauth is the only Hurricane still alive in the “B” singles division.

Farah and Banada advanced to the second round in doubles action out in Palm Springs after defeating Vanja Crevice and Marija Milic of Texas 8-5.

Seenauth and Vallverdu were eliminated from doubles competition following the first round.

Women’s Track

Athletic Director Paul Dee recently announced that Head Women’s Track and Field Coach Amy Deem signed a new three-year contract that will employ Deem at Miami through the 2009 season.

Deem is entering her 17th season at Miami. Her tenure has also seen at least one All-American in each of the last 14 seasons.

Miami swept the Atlantic Coast Conference Indoor and Outdoor titles for a second straight year. Deem earned ACC Coach of the Year honors.

The Hurricanes also finished fifth at the 2006 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...