Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami began play in two tournaments, the ITA National Indoors and Palm Springs Invite.

In the ITA, Audra Cohen defeated Anna Lubinsky of Texas A&M (6-1, 6-2) to advance into second round. Cohen went on and defeated Georgia’s Natalie Frazier (6-4, 6-3). Cohen won her third match against Florida’s Diana Srebrovic (6-4, 6-2) and will move into the main draw finals, which will feature Cohen against Melanie Gloria of Fresno State.

In the singles “A” draw in Palm Springs, Laura Vallverdu and Romy Farah advanced to the quarterfinals. Vallverdu defeated Whitney McCray and Tracy Lin of Georgia Tech and UCLA respectively. Farah won two matches against Diane Matias of USC and UCLA’s Alex McGoodwin. Audrey Banada was eliminated in the first round.

Caren Seenauth is the only Hurricane still alive in the “B” singles division.

Farah and Banada advanced to the second round in doubles action out in Palm Springs after defeating Vanja Crevice and Marija Milic of Texas 8-5.

Seenauth and Vallverdu were eliminated from doubles competition following the first round.

Women’s Track

Athletic Director Paul Dee recently announced that Head Women’s Track and Field Coach Amy Deem signed a new three-year contract that will employ Deem at Miami through the 2009 season.

Deem is entering her 17th season at Miami. Her tenure has also seen at least one All-American in each of the last 14 seasons.

Miami swept the Atlantic Coast Conference Indoor and Outdoor titles for a second straight year. Deem earned ACC Coach of the Year honors.

The Hurricanes also finished fifth at the 2006 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...