Senior killed in car crash

A tragic accident took the life of a University of Miami student early Thursday morning. Senior John Patrick Warnecke (called “Military John” and “Baby John” by his friends) died after his minivan hit a moving train at Bird Road and 72nd Avenue.

According to an article in The Miami Herald, at around 3:15 a.m. on Thursday, John came to a railroad crossing where a black Chrysler Pacifica was stopped, the gates were down and the lights were flashing as a train approached.

For reasons still unknown, John didn’t stop when he reached the intersection, clipping the Pacifica and hitting the moving train with his minivan. He was killed instantly.

A self-described “military brat,” John lived in Maryland, Virginia, California and Puerto Rico before coming to UM. His favorite place was Puerto Rico, and he often told stories about how his bedroom window looked out to the ocean, and how he could hear loud Coqu

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...