News Briefs

UMNews

Researcher helps uncover truth about chronic fatigue syndrome

Dr. Nancy Kilmas, a University of Miami immunologist, has spent the past 20 years researching chronic fatigue syndrome, a misunderstood disease that commonly affects women between the ages of 40 and 59 years old.

The symptoms of the disease include at least six months of debilitating fatigue, muscle and joint pain as well as sleep problems, according to a report by NBC 6 news. The university has recently received three federal grants to be applied towards studying different aspects of the disease and researchers are currently attempting to identify biological markers that could allow for blood tests to aid in diagnosis.

Chronic fatigue has also entered into the national spotlight for the first time with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s launch of a national awareness campaign for the syndrome.

“It’s so big. I can’t tell you how important it is that the government is supporting and paying for this big awareness campaign, because 85 percent of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome do not carry that diagnosis yet,” Klimas told NBC 6.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car ranked among top five places to launch a career

BusinessWeek ranked Enterprise-Rent-A-Car fifth in its list of best places for college graduates to start a career. The company hires about 10 UM students a year and currently employs over 40 alumni.

ELSEWhere

Evolution advocate discusses intelligent design at Kansas State U.

JONAS HOGG // KANSAS STATE COLLEGIAN (KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY)

(U-WIRE) MANHATTAN, Kan. – Eugenie Scott, executive director for The National Center for Science Education, spoke at the fall’s final event for Kansas State University’s Center for the Understanding of Origins.

Scott’s speech, titled “The Once and Future Intelligent Design,” examined the movement from early creationism science – the scientific attempts to justify Christian creationism – to the current, and controversial, intelligent design.

During the speech, Scott discussed the gulf that has formed between those she calls anti-evolutionist, who she said attempt to prove their theories through the debunking of scientific evolutionary theory.

Things need not be either/or, Scott said. Even in Christianity there are trains of thought known as deistic evolution which merge evolutionary science as it is now stated with Christian theology. This view differs from current intelligent design theories in that it does not challenge the scientific inquiries of evolution.

Though she is decidedly pro-evolution, Scott’s presentation of intelligent design and creationism is widely praised.

“I think she gave a well-rounded view from both sides,” Becky Clark, senior in biology, said. “She put in the history of it and the facts about it. I thought it was great. You couldn’t have learned more, really.”

ETC

Attention graduating seniors! Yearbook pictures can be taken Nov. 27 through Dec. 1 and Jan. 12 through Jan. 19 in UC 233. Call (305) 284-6384 for more information. Go on and make your mothers happy, take a yearbook picture.