BREAKING NEWS: Defensive lineman Bryan Pata shot and killed

11:30 PM TUESDAY – Earlier tonight, defensive end Bryan Pata was shot and killed at a Kendall Apartment complex in Miami, Fla.

Details of the shooting have not been released.

Pata was a senior from Miami who was majoring in criminology. In 2004, Pata became the starting left defensive end for the ‘Canes. He has since become a staple in the Miami defense.

The University of Miami Athletic Department issued a statement regarding the loss of Pata:

“Tonight the University of Miami tragically lost a member of our football family, Bryan Pata.

Bryan was a fine person and a great competitor. He will be forever missed by his coaches and teammates. We offer our thoughts and prayers to his family.

Our players are deeply saddened and are grieving. We ask that their privacy be respected in the coming days.

The University of Miami urges anybody with any information on the shooting to contact the Miami-Dade Police Department Homicide Bureau or Crimestoppers.”

The Hurricane will continue to follow this tragedy and will honor Pata with a tribute in Friday’s edition.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...