Public Safety Tip

Public Safety reminds you to be weary of internet phishing scams!

Never trust the link in an email or pop-up, even if the email appears to be from a legitimate source.

According to the US Federal Trade Commission, phishing is the act of sending an e-mail or pop-up message that claims to be from a legitimate business or organization, in an attempt to lure personal information from a user. Just about every reputable organization from internet service providers to banks to on-line auction sites to government agencies have been impersonated by phishers. The email or pop-up message may ask you to “validate,” “confirm,” or “update,” your personal account information. Some phishing emails even threaten rather serious consequences if you don’t respond. Usually, the messages direct you to a website that looks just like a legitimate organization’s site. But it isn’t. It’s a fake site whose sole purpose is to trick you into divulging your personal information. Once phishers have your information, they use your identity and run up bills or commit crimes in your name. The sure way to stay safe is to only provide passwords, personal, financial, or credit information to reputable, secure, and encrypted websites that you personally navigate to. Never use a link. If you believe you received a phishing email, or believe you were the victim of a phishing scam, immediately contact the impersonated organization. You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov. Further information on Phishing scams is available at www.miami.edu/publicsafety or through the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...