Public Safety Tip

Public Safety reminds you to be weary of internet phishing scams!

Never trust the link in an email or pop-up, even if the email appears to be from a legitimate source.

According to the US Federal Trade Commission, phishing is the act of sending an e-mail or pop-up message that claims to be from a legitimate business or organization, in an attempt to lure personal information from a user. Just about every reputable organization from internet service providers to banks to on-line auction sites to government agencies have been impersonated by phishers. The email or pop-up message may ask you to “validate,” “confirm,” or “update,” your personal account information. Some phishing emails even threaten rather serious consequences if you don’t respond. Usually, the messages direct you to a website that looks just like a legitimate organization’s site. But it isn’t. It’s a fake site whose sole purpose is to trick you into divulging your personal information. Once phishers have your information, they use your identity and run up bills or commit crimes in your name. The sure way to stay safe is to only provide passwords, personal, financial, or credit information to reputable, secure, and encrypted websites that you personally navigate to. Never use a link. If you believe you received a phishing email, or believe you were the victim of a phishing scam, immediately contact the impersonated organization. You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov. Further information on Phishing scams is available at www.miami.edu/publicsafety or through the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...