Sports Briefs

Volleyball
Maryland defeated Miami 3-0 (30-24, 30-24, 30-27) on Oct. 28 at the Comcast Center Pavilion in Baltimore, Md. The Hurricanes fall to 8-14 overall and 5-8 in Atlantic Coast Conference. With the win, the Terrapins move to 10-11 and 3-9 in the ACC.

Jill Robinson led Miami with 27 assists and added nine digs. Senior Frannie Savage provided 10 kills and seven digs.

Maryland jumped out to an early 7-1 advantage over Miami in game one. The ‘Canes were able to even the score at 15. The Terrapins put away five straight points to go up 20-16, a lead they would not relinquish.

Miami came out and dominated game two early with a 13-7 lead. Maryland then went on a 13-3 run to go up 20-16. The Terrapins went on to win 30-24 and took a 2-0 match advantage.

The final game was a back and forth affair until the score was tied at 24-all. Maryland took advantage of late Miami errors and went on to win the third game 30-27 and the match in a sweep.

Swimming and Diving
Miami split a pair of home meets this weekend to Florida State and Western Michigan at the Norman Whitten Student Union Pool. The Hurricanes defeated the Hilltoppers 136-106, but fell to the Seminoles 199-98.

Sophomore Kristen Pomerleau and freshman Katie Eason led Miami to first place finishes in nine of the 13 events against Western Kentucky.

Pomerleau won the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 23.94 and the 100-yard freestyle in 51.38. Eason finished first in 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard butterfly.

The Hurricanes also took victories in the 200-yard medley relay, 200-yard freestyle relay and the 100-yard breaststroke.

Miami won two diving events including Jenna Dreyer in the one-meter springboard and Heather Bounds in the three-meter springboard.

In the meet against Florida State, the Seminoles won 10 of the 13 events over the Hurricanes.

UM’s senior Heather Bounds won the three-meter diving board with a score of 299.85. Eason took first place in the 200-yard individual medley in a time of 2:07.5. The final victory for the ‘Canes came from the team of Pomerleau, Jennifer Powell, Emerson Davis, and Tina McIntyre in the 400-yard freestyle.

Football
One of the charges against wide receiver Ryan Moore was upgraded to a felony by the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office stemming from an on-campus altercation on Aug. 26.

The decision was made after an assessment of the damage inflicted on the vehicle that Moore allegedly kicked in.

Moore was reinstated to the team last week after he surrendered to the University of Miami criminal investigative division of public safety following the initial charges of criminal mischief and simple battery misdemeanors.

Moore is expected to accept a plea offer of a pre-trail diversion program that will include conditions of restitution to the victim, community service hours and anger control classes.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the South Florida Sun Sentinel

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...