Former presidential aides discuss White House experiences

Imagine that the professor grading your paper can drop a nuclear bomb, a former aide for President George W. Bush told a group of less than 50 students at the Storer Auditorium on Thursday.

Noam Neusner, who worked as a special assistant for economic and domestic speechwriting in the Bush administration, and Jay Footlik, a special assistant to former President Bill Clinton, discussed their experiences in each administration. Both also served as liaisons to the American Jewish community while working in the White House.

“The Real West Wing: An American Jewish Perspective” was sponsored by the Dept. of Student Activities and the Dept. of Residence Halls.

During the event, both men discussed their backgrounds and how they became involved with politics.

Neusner, who described himself as a lifelong Republican who has never given a dollar to a campaign, began as a journalist.

Footlik worked on losing campaigns in the 1980s and is a lawyer, though Neusner noted that Footlik was an actor, starring in films such as “Iron Eagle” and “Teen Wolf”.

The two also commented extensively about their respective experiences in the White House.

Footlik noted the very different leadership style of each president, a point Neusner agreed with.

Both men ended their remarks by encouraging the students in attendance to get involved with political campaigns.

“It’s like the Nike ad,” Footlik said. “‘Just do it.'”

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...