Editorial: BRING OUT THE VOTE

It’s only a week until midterm elections, and America is at a crossroads-and if America is at a crossroads, the world is at a crossroads. Whether or not the election results will affect us for better or worse is a matter of debate-and the winning philosophy of said debate will take control of the workings of Congress and 36 governorships once November 7 comes and goes.

The results of the midterm elections will directly influence everyone in the world, and that includes the over 15,000 students pursuing academic excellence in our little corner of Coral Gables. It is this sense of urgency that has the entire country buzzing.

Issues such as the Iraq war effort, illegal immigration, gas prices (and its closely-related issue, energy dependence), the Iranian question, and now North Korea’s newfound nukes, indicate that the country, and the world, is on the brink of a major crisis, and whoever wins these elections will decide how to go about averting such a crisis.

And yet, campus is silent. Students have not been as motivated or involved as they could be, which is a shame, as the candidates who rise to, or stay in, power after the election will make decisions that directly affect our lives.

Some people say they just don’t have time. Sure, everyone’s schedules are hectic, but consider, for one minute, all the struggles throughout history to give people the right to vote. Not just the American Revolution, but also the Suffragette movement, the anti-Apartheid movement, the Civil Rights movement, and the wave of revolutions in the Soviet bloc during the final years of the Cold War. All were driven by the desire to participate in the democratic process.

Also, take a moment to remember those who long to, but can’t, vote. Just ask the people in North Korea or Sudan how much they’d love to have a say in how their daily lives are run, then a couple of tests or meetings suddenly seem irrelevant when compared to what people go through, and have been through, to be able to make a difference.

It’s sad to see college students, in particular, not give the issues a second thought, considering we’re the ones who will have to deal with the fallout of any rash decisions made by our elected officials and if we don’t vote, then we really have no right to complain. The future is now-and it’s being determined at the polling stations.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...