Cult classic time warps UM

Transvestites from Transsexual Transylvania invaded the Hillel Jewish Student Center last week, and will continue their mad run on stage through Nov. 4 every night, except Fridays. So until then, students should expect to see men and women alike in garish make-up and slinky outfits doing the Time Warp in the spirit of The Rocky Horror Show.

The largely freshman cast of Quantum’s fall production, originally made famous by the Richard O’Brien’s 1975 film, performed very well. A hilariously erotic and outrageous Frankenstein parody, the musical is probably the most famous cult classic of all time and is just the kind of craziness college students clamor for. The show also features a not-so-subtle Dr. Strangelove reference in the form of Dr. Everett Scott, played by Richard Russell.

Nick Liotta expertly portrayed Frank-N-Furter, Tim Curry’s twisted transvestite character in the movie – though without Curry’s signature curly black wig and white face make-up. Liotta’s attitude and swagger were right on target, as were his vocals.

Tim Murray and Rachelle Weiner (Brad and Janet, respectively) also pulled off their roles in a glowing fashion, capturing the essence of their out-of-place characters at Frank-N-Furter’s castle. Murray’s Brad proved that, dammit, he loved Janet, but Weiner’s depiction of his love interest was particularly outstanding. Specifically, her vocals stood out among her fellow females – Frank-N-Furter excluded. Contrastingly, a couple performers could simply not hit the high notes.

Impeding the vocals of several cast members throughout show were microphones that occasionally failed to capture the performer’s voice or that were not set loud enough to be heard over the orchestra. On that note, the band was flawless in their performance of the catchy rock soundtrack.

Songs like “Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me” and “Rose Tint My World” let the audience know it’s okay to let their inhibitions go. In the latter, the title character, Rocky (Eric Stapf), told the crowd of over 100 that “the only thing to [he’s] come to trust is an orgasmic rush of lust” after being created seven hours earlier by Frank-N-Furter. At the end of the show, “The Time Warp” reprise brought more than half of the audience members to their feet.

Dancing at the end was not the only way the crowd interacted – far from it. One reason Rocky Horror is such a classic is that audience participation is integral in the show. For instance, some individuals purchased prop packs, which included confetti for the marriage of Frank-N-Furter and Rocky as well as miniature lights for when it is raining. Noticeably absent though were water guns to simulate rain, not to mention flying pieces of toast, rolls of toilet paper and playing cards. Nevertheless, the experience was a most enjoyable one, proving that the live version of Rocky Horror surely beats sitting and watching the film at home.

There will be a special “late night, double feature, picture show” at 10 p.m. on Halloween. All other shows are at 8 p.m. For more information, please visit www.gotoquantum.com. Tickets may be purchased at the UM Ticketmaster window or reserved via by emailing umquantum@yahoo.com.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...