Cross Country Teams Bottom Out

The University of Miami cross country teams failed to produce any results at the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship on Saturday in Charlottesville, Va. The Hurricanes finished last in team competition in both men’s and women’s divisions.

UM’s Jon Scheiner led the men’s cross country team with a 53rd place finish over the eight kilometer course in 26:14.5. Other notable finishes came from senior Zach Castiglione who finished 71st with a time of 26:44.0 and sophomore Andrew Chuplis placed 76th in 26:48.5.

Miami finished last of the 12 teams competing in the ACC championship with 348 points. North Carolina State won the team competition with 31 points. Florida State finished second and Virginia came in third.

The team victory for the Wolfpack was their 14th league title under their Head Coach Rollie Geiger.

Senior Itay Magidi of Clemson won the individual competition with a time of 23:52.5. Andrew Lemoncello of Florida State and Virginia’s Jan Foerster rounded out the top three.

DeeDee Phlatts led the women’s cross country with a 68th place finish with a time of 23:52.5 in the ACC championship. The Hurricanes had five of the seven worst individual finishes from the race.

The next best finish came from Ena Leufroy who came in 80th with a time of 24:57.4.

The UM women’s cross country team finished with 384 points, 41 points worse then any other team.

NC State won the women’s cross country team title as well. It was the 20th league championship won under Head Coach Laurie Henes. Duke and Virginia finished out the top three.

Julia Lucas of NC State won the individual title with a time of 20:42.1. Michelle Sikes of Wake Forest and Duke’s Emily McCabe rounded out the top three.

The Hurricanes will compete in the NCAA South Region Championships on Nov. 11 in Knoxville, Tenn.

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...