Strange News

Recess Sports Being Banned Across the Country

For those from the class of 2010 and older, elementary school days were highlighted by recess times when we were allowed to break free and play kickball, tetherball and my all-time favorite; four square. Recently however, officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from being allowed to play tag, touch football or any other chase game that is unsupervised during recess for fear that they’ll get hurt and hold the school liable. Willett Elementary School principal Gaylene Heppe approved the ban saying that recess is “a time when accidents can happen.”

This isn’t the first time contact sports during recess have become banned. In fact, several school administrators from Attleboro took away dodgeball after claiming that it was both exclusionary and dangerous. Other elementary schools that have recently banned tag during recess include ones in Wyoming, Washington and South Carolina. It’s very unfortunate that kids are being limited in this way; activity levels will decrease as well as social skills development. Most importantly, what’s recess without games like tag? Playing these games are just a part of being a kid and unfortunately this is just another example of how kids are being forced to grow up way too fast.

Wisconsin Toddler Gets Stuck In Vending Machine

A toddler in Antigo, Wisconsin, who went fishing for a stuffed cartoon character in a vending machine, wound up sharing space with the toy inside the game’s plastic cubicle. Three-year-old Robert Moore tried to scoop out a stuffed replica of SpongBob SquarePants with the vending machine’s plastic crane on Saturday, but had no luck on his first attempt. While his grandmother, Fredricka Bierdemann, turned her back to get another dollar for a second try, Robert took off his coat and squeezed through an opening in the machine. He landed in the stuffed animal cube. Store employees couldn’t find a key to the machine, so Robert waited while the Antigo Fire Department was called. Firefighters broke one lock but then spotted two latches inside the plastic cube. They passed a screwdriver to Robert, who eventually freed himself. He went home safe-but without a stuffed SpongeBob.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...