Sports Briefs

Women’s Golf

UM junior Jessica Steward was named the Golfweek Women’s Player of the Week following her victory at the Georgian Southern University at the Pelican Preserve Invite last week.

Steward established a new University of Miami 54-hole scoring record of 209 (69-68-72) in her first collegiate victory.

Women’s Track and Field

UM Track and Field announced on Oct. 24 that Todd Lane has been added to the Hurricane coaching staff. Lane will specialize on jumpers and multi-events.

Lane most recently worked at Ball State for two seasons as an assistant coach for the men’s and women’s programs before being named the interim head coach for the women’s track and field in August.

Lane helped coach Ball State to a second place finish at the 2006 MAC Indoor Championships.

Women’s Swimming

University of Miami defeated Florida International University in the season opener on Oct. 20 at the Bay Vista Aquatic Center. The Hurricanes won 10 of 11 events over the Golden Panthers.

Kristen Pomerleau and Ashley Knapp helped lead Miami to victories in six of those 10 events.

Volleyball

Miami defeated Wake Forest 3-1 (30-23, 30-27, 30-32, 30-23) at the Knight Sports Complex on Oct. 22. UM improved to 8-13 overall and 5-7 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. With the loss, Wake Forest drops to 11-9 overall and 7-4 in conference play.

Outside hitter Lauren Rinderknecht registered her first double-double of the season with 10 kills and 10 digs. Setter Jill Robinson also achieved a double-double with 47 assists and 14 digs. Senior Frannie Savage led all players will 20 kills.

Baseball

The University of Miami released the 2007 baseball schedule, which features 10 NCAA Tournament teams.

The Hurricanes are coming off a 42-24 overall record and a fifth-place finish at the College World Series last season. The Hurricanes will look to extend their NCAA record 34 consecutive postseason appearances.

The home schedule is highlighted by visits from UCLA (Feb. 9-11), Georgia Tech (April 6-8), and Florida State (April 27-29). Miami will open the season against Mercer on Feb. 2.

Pro Basketball

Former Hurricane Robert Hite scored his first points for the Miami Heat in a preseason game against the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets on Oct. 17. In 21 minutes of action, Hite shot three for seven from the field, totaling eight points.

Hite came back with a 25-point performance against Memphis Oct. 20 on 10-14 shooting.

Hite is attempting to make the 15-man roster for the Heat.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...