Heinicke dominates in victory over North Florida

Forward Bryn Heinicke scored two goals while North Florida only netted one in a 4-1 victory by Miami women’s soccer on Tuesday at Cobb Stadium.

The four goals by the Hurricanes marked the largest goal output in one game by Miami since the 2002 season. Miami improves to 8-8-1 overall with the win and North Florida drops to 11-5-1 on the season.

The Hurricanes defense swallowed up all offensive threats by the Ospreys. UM goalie Lauren McAdam saw only three shots overall and only one on goal. Meanwhile, the ‘Canes made 11 attempts at the North Florida goal.

Heinicke’s first goal marked the only scoring of the first half and gave Miami a quick 1-0 lead. Paulelette Ricks-Chambers set up the goal with a pass to the right side of the box where Heinicke put the ball into the far-left corner from 20 yards out for the goal in the 17th minute.

It took the Hurricanes until the 48th minute to score again. This time Rachael Rigamat beat UNF goalie Heather Gosselin to just inside the far-left post for Rigamat’s fifth goal on the season.

North Florida answered back in the 53rd minute with a goal by Christine Brewer aided by an assist from Lena Mullaney to draw UNF to within a goal 2-1.

Heinicke would answer back with her final score of the game two minutes later on a Sheuneen Ta assist. Jessica Wyble added a final insurance goal for Miami in the 66th minute, which ended the scoring 4-1.

“I really thought everyone played well tonight,” Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro told Hurricanesports.com. “I think we were extremely creative in the shots we were able to take. I was really pleased with the way we scored, every goal seem to come out of a different situation.”

Miami finishes up the regular season tonight against Duke tonight at Cobb Stadium at 7 p.m. The Hurricanes have already been eliminated from Atlantic Coast Conference tournament contention.

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...