Beck runs in a new direction, right into a moving vehicle

Beck has been on a roll. His last two efforts, the simply astounding Sea Change and the genre-bending Guero, were the two finest hours of his career. With his latest, The Information, Beck continues his classic fusion of altered folk and white boy hip-hop that claimed much of his early success, while developing some new tricks that never seem fully realized.

More specifically, The Information feels like a magic trick gone wrong. It’s as if Beck took out some life insurance and decided to go to town on his body; leaping from skyscrapers, lunging in front of moving vehicles, anything that might get him caught in a dangerous situation.

With The Information, he has a back-breaking production full of disorder and unappealing musical collisions that amount to more devastation than the album can bear. While Beck may be satisfying his urge to run amok on an album, his music is suffering because of it.

The Information is one of Beck’s most challenging albums. It begs to be pieced together and re-interrupted with every listen; this isn’t something you listen to on your way to work every morning.

The major problem to be had with The Information is it simply gets too carried away with itself. There is good stuff here (“Think I’m In Love,” “Soldier Jane” and “Nausea”), but Beck’s refusal to keep the album’s structure fairly consistent makes The Information a sad misstep for his career.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...