Sports Briefs

Women’s Golf
University of Miami’s Jessica Steward won the Georgia State Invitational/Pelican Preserve Invite with a 54-hole Hurricane scoring record. Steward shot rounds of 69, 68, and 72 for a seven under total of 209. Penny Hammel held the old record of 212 strokes set in 1982 and was later equaled by three other ‘Canes.

Steward’s win was the first win of her collegiate career and the first by a Hurricane since Tina Miller won the Ryder Collegiate Championship in 2005.

UM finished eighth in team competition with a score of 892. Texas Tech University finished in first with 879 strokes.

Men’s Tennis
Six out of seven Hurricanes advanced to the 64th Round at the Wilson ITA Southeast Regionals. Josh Cohen, Daniel Vallverdu, Vivek Subramanian, Barnabas Carrega, Hector Nieto and Josip Rupena all moved on in singles action on Oct. 20.

Neito and Rupena defeated Auburn’s Hunter Mills and Stephen Nash 9-8 to advance in doubles.

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...