Sports Briefs

Women’s Golf
University of Miami’s Jessica Steward won the Georgia State Invitational/Pelican Preserve Invite with a 54-hole Hurricane scoring record. Steward shot rounds of 69, 68, and 72 for a seven under total of 209. Penny Hammel held the old record of 212 strokes set in 1982 and was later equaled by three other ‘Canes.

Steward’s win was the first win of her collegiate career and the first by a Hurricane since Tina Miller won the Ryder Collegiate Championship in 2005.

UM finished eighth in team competition with a score of 892. Texas Tech University finished in first with 879 strokes.

Men’s Tennis
Six out of seven Hurricanes advanced to the 64th Round at the Wilson ITA Southeast Regionals. Josh Cohen, Daniel Vallverdu, Vivek Subramanian, Barnabas Carrega, Hector Nieto and Josip Rupena all moved on in singles action on Oct. 20.

Neito and Rupena defeated Auburn’s Hunter Mills and Stephen Nash 9-8 to advance in doubles.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...