Orange brawl not reflective of students ‘ attitudes

All it took was one night to erase all the progress made towards cleaning up our school’s reputation. Instead of being known as the school who hosted the 2004 Presidential Debate and the Dalai Lama a couple of years ago, since that fateful Saturday evening when a helmet was swung at an FIU player, our old rep is coming back to haunt us, as seen by the resurgence of unflattering nicknames like “Thug U” and “Hurri-cons.”

It doesn’t take much to figure out that, especially in schools known for their football programs, teams represent their institutions, both on the field and off. Unfortunately, the infamous fight looked bad on the entire student body. When Anthony Reddick swung that helmet at the FIU player, he did so on behalf of everyone enrolled at the university.

This is unfortunate, as the vast majority of the students are intelligent, industrious individuals brimming with ambition and a sense of decency. Any student who went through the admissions process during the past four years can attest to this. Most of us did not condone the players’ behavior, but will future employers even think about that?

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...