News Briefs

UMNews

Student, faculty Senates react to football fight

Numerous members of the Student Government Senate, while in open discussion at Wednesday’s meeting, condemned what they called a “violent altercation” at the game against FIU on Oct. 14. Several senators were also critical of the national media’s coverage of the fight, particularly ESPN.

According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Faculty Senate, at their meeting on the same day, did not pass any action challenging the disciplinary response of the athletic department, though there was a one-hour long discussion with President Donna E. Shalala and Athletic Director Paul Dee.

“It was a full, frank and open exchange,” the Sun-Sentinel reported Faculty Senate Chairman Stephen Sapp as saying.

Local investor donates tens of millions to UM research

Eugenia “Gene” Dodson, a Coral Gables resident, recently made a posthumous donation of $35.6 million to fund local diabetes and cancer research, according to an article in The Miami Herald. Two-thirds of the donation will go directly to UM’s Diabetes Research Institute, while the remaining third will go to the UM Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.

ELSEWhere

Duke researchers reveal invisibility cloak prototype

Carolina Astigarraga // The Chronicle (Duke)

(U-WIRE) DURHAM, N.C. – So, if you’re not magician Harry Houdini, how hard is it to make something disappear? Not as hard as Duke researchers thought.

Science Express published a report Thursday recording a successful test of the first invisibility cloak – a year before it was supposed to work.

The experimental data were gathered by a team of scientists, led by David Smith, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering, and research associate David Schurig.

The data demonstrates that the cloak can redirect microwaves around itself and have the waves appear behind it relatively undisturbed – a technique that could eventually be applied to visible light, researchers said.

Schurig said it was not easy to “warp space” but the scientists solved the problem by using “metamaterials.” These metamaterials, which have unique electro-magnetic properties not found in nature, are what make it possible for waves to be deflected around the object.

The cloak, a small device no more than five inches across, is really a series of concentric circles – called split-ring resonators – constructed out of metamaterials, said Schurig, who designed the device.

The cloak’s success has created a recent stir in the news, but team member Jack Mock cautioned it may be a while before a cloak for visible light is created.

ETC

Alternative Spring Break participant applications are now available in the Service and Leadership Development Center in UC 240. Applications are due back in the office by 5 p.m. on Nov. 3.

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...