Freshman dies in Miami Beach

Erik Swanson, a freshman majoring in marketing and finance, died on Oct. 6 in Miami Beach. He was 18 years old.

A sports fan, Erik played soccer, basketball and lacrosse, according to his Facebook profile. Hailing from St. Louis, MO, Swanson played on his high school lacrosse team and was named to the 2006 Lacrosse All Conference Team, according to a piece in the St. Louis Dispatch.

The piece also said that he enjoyed steaks, travel, animals, cars and being with his friends.

His friends posted more than 80 messages on his Facebook wall, expressing their feelings and thoughts.

The university called Swanson’s death a “sad and tragic thing.” The university had little other information because the death occurred off campus.

The Miami Hurricane also contacted the funeral home in St. Louis, but, citing the family’s request, could not release any information.

Swanson leaves behind his two parents and three sisters.

A memorial service took place outside of the master apartment of Mahoney Residential College on Oct. 18.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...