Freshman dies in Miami Beach

Erik Swanson, a freshman majoring in marketing and finance, died on Oct. 6 in Miami Beach. He was 18 years old.

A sports fan, Erik played soccer, basketball and lacrosse, according to his Facebook profile. Hailing from St. Louis, MO, Swanson played on his high school lacrosse team and was named to the 2006 Lacrosse All Conference Team, according to a piece in the St. Louis Dispatch.

The piece also said that he enjoyed steaks, travel, animals, cars and being with his friends.

His friends posted more than 80 messages on his Facebook wall, expressing their feelings and thoughts.

The university called Swanson’s death a “sad and tragic thing.” The university had little other information because the death occurred off campus.

The Miami Hurricane also contacted the funeral home in St. Louis, but, citing the family’s request, could not release any information.

Swanson leaves behind his two parents and three sisters.

A memorial service took place outside of the master apartment of Mahoney Residential College on Oct. 18.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...