Freshman dies in Miami Beach

Erik Swanson, a freshman majoring in marketing and finance, died on Oct. 6 in Miami Beach. He was 18 years old.

A sports fan, Erik played soccer, basketball and lacrosse, according to his Facebook profile. Hailing from St. Louis, MO, Swanson played on his high school lacrosse team and was named to the 2006 Lacrosse All Conference Team, according to a piece in the St. Louis Dispatch.

The piece also said that he enjoyed steaks, travel, animals, cars and being with his friends.

His friends posted more than 80 messages on his Facebook wall, expressing their feelings and thoughts.

The university called Swanson’s death a “sad and tragic thing.” The university had little other information because the death occurred off campus.

The Miami Hurricane also contacted the funeral home in St. Louis, but, citing the family’s request, could not release any information.

Swanson leaves behind his two parents and three sisters.

A memorial service took place outside of the master apartment of Mahoney Residential College on Oct. 18.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

View images from the Miami soccer team's senior day match against Notre Dame, as well as shots ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...