Conan the genealogist

Not being satisfied with fame and fortune as the result of being a bodybuilding legend, action hero, movie icon, and California state political phenomenon, Arnold Schwarzenegger is currently looking to add “genealogist” to his repertoire.

About a month ago, recorded conversations were released wherein the California governor attempted to establish the hereditary roots of State Assemblywoman Bonnie Garcia in the following fashion: unsure of her exact origin, yet concluding she was Hispanic, Schwarzenegger observes (and please apply stiff Austrian accent for better effect) that “they are very hot (referring to temperament). They have the, you know, part of the black blood in them and part of the Latino blood .”

With no formal education and/or training in genetics, cultural anthropology, or even history, the aging Terminator star is professing to be able to decipher the ethnic make-up of fellow politicians. Shortly after the release of the abovementioned recorded statements, and no doubt at the insistence of one of his political advisors, Arnold appeared publicly and apologized, just like he had done when it was rumored that he had acted in a sexist manner to dozens of women in his movie hay-day.

What did you expect? It doesn’t take a brilliant politician to remember that California was founded by Mexicans, having one of the largest Hispanic populations in the country, and that California big cities, like Los Angeles, boasts heavy voting registration by African-Americans. Regardless, I have always felt that politics, for the most part, is serious business and therefore should be handled by serious people. The State of California seems to feel that it is more important to be entertained than properly represented by its leaders. My only hope is that the people of California wise up and vote Arnold out of the governor’s mansion and into the starring role in Terminator IV: Revenge of the Slighted Minorities – or as it would appear with Spanish subtitles, “Hasta La Vista, Arnold.”

Octavio Ramos is a doctoral candidate and graduate teaching assistant in the history department. He may be contacted at o.ramos@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...