Conan the genealogist

Not being satisfied with fame and fortune as the result of being a bodybuilding legend, action hero, movie icon, and California state political phenomenon, Arnold Schwarzenegger is currently looking to add “genealogist” to his repertoire.

About a month ago, recorded conversations were released wherein the California governor attempted to establish the hereditary roots of State Assemblywoman Bonnie Garcia in the following fashion: unsure of her exact origin, yet concluding she was Hispanic, Schwarzenegger observes (and please apply stiff Austrian accent for better effect) that “they are very hot (referring to temperament). They have the, you know, part of the black blood in them and part of the Latino blood .”

With no formal education and/or training in genetics, cultural anthropology, or even history, the aging Terminator star is professing to be able to decipher the ethnic make-up of fellow politicians. Shortly after the release of the abovementioned recorded statements, and no doubt at the insistence of one of his political advisors, Arnold appeared publicly and apologized, just like he had done when it was rumored that he had acted in a sexist manner to dozens of women in his movie hay-day.

What did you expect? It doesn’t take a brilliant politician to remember that California was founded by Mexicans, having one of the largest Hispanic populations in the country, and that California big cities, like Los Angeles, boasts heavy voting registration by African-Americans. Regardless, I have always felt that politics, for the most part, is serious business and therefore should be handled by serious people. The State of California seems to feel that it is more important to be entertained than properly represented by its leaders. My only hope is that the people of California wise up and vote Arnold out of the governor’s mansion and into the starring role in Terminator IV: Revenge of the Slighted Minorities – or as it would appear with Spanish subtitles, “Hasta La Vista, Arnold.”

Octavio Ramos is a doctoral candidate and graduate teaching assistant in the history department. He may be contacted at o.ramos@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...