Sports Briefs

Women’s Soccer
Clemson University (7-6-1, 2-3-1) defeated the University of Miami (7-6-1, 1-5-1), edging 2-1 on Oct. 11 at Cobb Stadium. The Hurricanes are now tied for ninth in the Atlantic Coast Conference with four points.

Clemson scored two early goals by Katie Vogel in the 22nd minute and Julie Bolt in the 32nd minute. The Tigers out-shot the ‘Canes in the first half 11-5.

Forward Paulelette Ricks-Chambers scored in the 79th minute to draw Miami to within on goal. UM had a chance to tie the match in the 86th minute, but a Clemson defender secured the win by narrowly blocking a shot attempt by freshman Jessica Wyble.

Women’s Volleyball
Miami dropped two straight matches at Virginia (31-29, 30-24, 30-15) and at Virginia Tech (30-23, 28-30, 30-19, 30-28). The Hurricanes fall to 6-12 overall and 3-6 in conference play with the losses.

In the match against Virginia, UM did not have a single player with double digit kills. Setter Jill Robinson led the team with 19 assists.

Miami was able to grab an early 7-4 lead in game one. However, the Cavaliers would come back and tie the score at 17-all. UVA would go on and take the game 31-29 after back-to-back kills by Lauren Dickson and Sarah Kirkwood.

The Cavaliers controlled games two and three to sweep the match.

Frannie Savage and Ciara Michel led Miami with 23 combined kills, while Robinson handed out 43 assists against Virginia Tech.

Miami was only able to take the second game of the match, 30-28. In the other three games, the Hokies dominated UM 90-70.

Men’s Cross Country
The Hurricanes (25 points) won a tri-meet between Florida International (33 points) and Florida Atlantic University (85 points) Oct. 12 at Tropical Park in Miami.

Andrew Chuplis led UM with the third best overall time of 21:18 over the four-mile course. Senior Jon Schenier came in fourth overall with a time of 21:21.

FIU’s D.J. Keller won the individual title with a time of 20:46.

Women’s Cross Country
Florida International (15 points) beat out Miami (48 points) and Florida Atlantic University (82 points) in a tri-meet on Oct. 12 at Tropical Park.

DeeDee Phlatts led UM with a 19:49 time over the 5K course, good for sixth overall. Other notable Hurricane finishes include Ena Leufroy in ninth place, senior Allison McElhaney in 11th place and senior Jessica Fern who finished 12th.

FIU’s Deirdra Witherspoon won the individual title with a time of 18:53.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...