Sports Briefs

Women’s Soccer
Clemson University (7-6-1, 2-3-1) defeated the University of Miami (7-6-1, 1-5-1), edging 2-1 on Oct. 11 at Cobb Stadium. The Hurricanes are now tied for ninth in the Atlantic Coast Conference with four points.

Clemson scored two early goals by Katie Vogel in the 22nd minute and Julie Bolt in the 32nd minute. The Tigers out-shot the ‘Canes in the first half 11-5.

Forward Paulelette Ricks-Chambers scored in the 79th minute to draw Miami to within on goal. UM had a chance to tie the match in the 86th minute, but a Clemson defender secured the win by narrowly blocking a shot attempt by freshman Jessica Wyble.

Women’s Volleyball
Miami dropped two straight matches at Virginia (31-29, 30-24, 30-15) and at Virginia Tech (30-23, 28-30, 30-19, 30-28). The Hurricanes fall to 6-12 overall and 3-6 in conference play with the losses.

In the match against Virginia, UM did not have a single player with double digit kills. Setter Jill Robinson led the team with 19 assists.

Miami was able to grab an early 7-4 lead in game one. However, the Cavaliers would come back and tie the score at 17-all. UVA would go on and take the game 31-29 after back-to-back kills by Lauren Dickson and Sarah Kirkwood.

The Cavaliers controlled games two and three to sweep the match.

Frannie Savage and Ciara Michel led Miami with 23 combined kills, while Robinson handed out 43 assists against Virginia Tech.

Miami was only able to take the second game of the match, 30-28. In the other three games, the Hokies dominated UM 90-70.

Men’s Cross Country
The Hurricanes (25 points) won a tri-meet between Florida International (33 points) and Florida Atlantic University (85 points) Oct. 12 at Tropical Park in Miami.

Andrew Chuplis led UM with the third best overall time of 21:18 over the four-mile course. Senior Jon Schenier came in fourth overall with a time of 21:21.

FIU’s D.J. Keller won the individual title with a time of 20:46.

Women’s Cross Country
Florida International (15 points) beat out Miami (48 points) and Florida Atlantic University (82 points) in a tri-meet on Oct. 12 at Tropical Park.

DeeDee Phlatts led UM with a 19:49 time over the 5K course, good for sixth overall. Other notable Hurricane finishes include Ena Leufroy in ninth place, senior Allison McElhaney in 11th place and senior Jessica Fern who finished 12th.

FIU’s Deirdra Witherspoon won the individual title with a time of 18:53.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...