Sports Briefs

Women’s Soccer
Clemson University (7-6-1, 2-3-1) defeated the University of Miami (7-6-1, 1-5-1), edging 2-1 on Oct. 11 at Cobb Stadium. The Hurricanes are now tied for ninth in the Atlantic Coast Conference with four points.

Clemson scored two early goals by Katie Vogel in the 22nd minute and Julie Bolt in the 32nd minute. The Tigers out-shot the ‘Canes in the first half 11-5.

Forward Paulelette Ricks-Chambers scored in the 79th minute to draw Miami to within on goal. UM had a chance to tie the match in the 86th minute, but a Clemson defender secured the win by narrowly blocking a shot attempt by freshman Jessica Wyble.

Women’s Volleyball
Miami dropped two straight matches at Virginia (31-29, 30-24, 30-15) and at Virginia Tech (30-23, 28-30, 30-19, 30-28). The Hurricanes fall to 6-12 overall and 3-6 in conference play with the losses.

In the match against Virginia, UM did not have a single player with double digit kills. Setter Jill Robinson led the team with 19 assists.

Miami was able to grab an early 7-4 lead in game one. However, the Cavaliers would come back and tie the score at 17-all. UVA would go on and take the game 31-29 after back-to-back kills by Lauren Dickson and Sarah Kirkwood.

The Cavaliers controlled games two and three to sweep the match.

Frannie Savage and Ciara Michel led Miami with 23 combined kills, while Robinson handed out 43 assists against Virginia Tech.

Miami was only able to take the second game of the match, 30-28. In the other three games, the Hokies dominated UM 90-70.

Men’s Cross Country
The Hurricanes (25 points) won a tri-meet between Florida International (33 points) and Florida Atlantic University (85 points) Oct. 12 at Tropical Park in Miami.

Andrew Chuplis led UM with the third best overall time of 21:18 over the four-mile course. Senior Jon Schenier came in fourth overall with a time of 21:21.

FIU’s D.J. Keller won the individual title with a time of 20:46.

Women’s Cross Country
Florida International (15 points) beat out Miami (48 points) and Florida Atlantic University (82 points) in a tri-meet on Oct. 12 at Tropical Park.

DeeDee Phlatts led UM with a 19:49 time over the 5K course, good for sixth overall. Other notable Hurricane finishes include Ena Leufroy in ninth place, senior Allison McElhaney in 11th place and senior Jessica Fern who finished 12th.

FIU’s Deirdra Witherspoon won the individual title with a time of 18:53.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...