On Saturday, our players looked like children

Modern sports are arguably one of the greater things humanity has come up with. They take our primal, competitive urges and channel them into a positive gathering of fans and players, throwing balls around, instead of a gathering of armies at war slinging bullets at each other. Sports can bring cities, nations and even the entire world together to celebrate the best feats of athleticism and competition we have to offer.

However, there are many times in which said celebrations of endurance and strength degenerate into violence, chaos and general thuggery. Prime examples include soccer hooligans, unruly parents at little league games, The Ron Artest Interactive Fan Experience, and Saturday’s free-for-all at the Orange Bowl.

The brawl could have been prevented, and looks bad on the university, but one can hardly say it’s a problem exclusive to Miami. The helmet blow heard around the country underscores a bigger problem in sports, in that little by little, violence is usurping the actual game.

After Ron Artest socked a fan last year, the news media went to great lengths to condemn his behavior and mention how that’s not what sports are about. Already, commentators on ESPN have taken to decrying Saturday’s fight as something that’s “not what college football is about.” Players will be suspended, this may be the catalyst that’ll be Coker’s ultimate undoing, and the commentators will still drone on about our school’s problems, while ignoring the bigger picture.

In the end, it will take a collective effort across the board to prevent violence from erupting during games.

Coaches must take control and make it clear to their players that such behavior will not be tolerated-whether verbally, or by enforcing sanctions.

Fans must not stand by while the issue pops up. Players themselves must exercise self-control and refrain from both making childish taunts and sneers, and responding to them.

In the end, it is up to the sports community-and everyone involved in it, be it actively, or as a spectator-to set things straight.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...