News Briefs

UMNews

UM dean appointed to American Bar Association Council

Dennis O. Lynch, a dean and professor at the School of Law, is the newest appointed member of the council of the ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar. The council serves as the governing body of that section.

Dean Lynch holds a B.A. from the University of Oregon, a J.D. from Harvard Law School, and J.S.D. and LL.M. degrees from Yale Law School. He served on the faculty of the UM School of Law from 1974 to 1990, and later served as dean of the University of Denver College of Law. Lynch returned to Miami nine years later to serve as dean of the Law School.

The ABA is the largest voluntary professional association in the world and serves as the national representative of the law profession. Services provided by the ABA include law school accreditation, continuing legal education and initiatives to improve the legal system for the public, among others.

Don’t drink the water

A broken water main near the entrance of campus left Pearson residents without water for one hour on Friday afternoon. Once the main was repaired, students were able to use the showers and restrooms once more, but were warned not to drink the water because it ran the risk of having become contaminated. The boil-water order was lifted on Saturday evening.

ELSEWhere

Dell announces battery recall following overheating laptops

Jeremy Reynolds // Daily Toreador (Texas Tech)

(U-WIRE) LUBBOCK, Texas – Dell Inc. has recalled approximately 100,000 batteries sold with the Latitude, Precision, Inspiron and XPS notebook computers, according the Dell Web site.

The recall is in light of the possibility these certain units could overheat. The overheated batteries have a chance of leading to a fire, according the Web site.

The notebooks at risk are the following models: Latitude D410, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610, D620, D800 and D810; Inspiron 500M, 510M, 600M, 700M, 710M, 6000, 6400, 8500, 8600, 9100, 9200, 9300, 9400, E1505 and E1705; Precision M20, M60, M70 and M90; XPS, XPS Gen2, XPS M170 and XPS M1710.

The batteries were not just sold along with the computers. The recalled batteries will also include any sold separately as a replacement. The batteries in question were sold during the time period of April 1, 2004, to July 18, 2006, according to the Web site.

The Dell website warned that someone should not use his or her current battery while waiting for the replacement.

ETC

Students interested in participating in student government can apply for positions in the new Student Government Cabinet. Applications can be picked up in the SG office in UC 214 and are due back at the office by Oct. 18 at 5 p.m.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...