MATCHUP: Miami VS Duke

OFFENSE: Miami struggled early against FIU’s defense, but made a statement in the second half with 28 points and very physical play. Duke could not run the ball at all against Florida State, but found some success through the air.
Advantage: MIAMI

QUARTERBACKS: Kyle Wright took some sacks but also threw three touchdown passes. He finished with 117 yards. Thaddeus Lewis threw 41 times for the Blue Devils.
Advantage: MIAMI

RUNNING BACKS: Miami didn’t break the 100-yard mark against FIU, but the 91 yards were done by committee, with Javarris James and Tyrone Moss doing the work. James Bryant in the fullback spot evolved into a new weapon. Duke struggled against FSU, gaining only 58 yards on 40 rushes.
Advantage: MIAMI

O-LINE: It was expected that Miami would give up a few sacks to FIU, who has a defensive end that leads the NCAA in sacks. Suspensions after the brawl will play a key role in the quality of the UM O-Line. Duke gave up two sacks for a loss of 14 yards.
Advantage: MIAMI

RECEIVERS: Miami must watch Eron Riley, who caught a 40-yard touchdown pass late in the game against FSU. Lance Leggett and Sam Shields had good nights for the ‘Canes against FIU, with Leggett grabbing two in the endzone. Greg Olsen didn’t play Saturday after taking a hit on Miami’s opening drive of the game.
Advantage: MIAMI

DEFENSE: The ‘Canes have only allowed 21 points in a three game span, after shutting out FIU. Turnovers were key, along with Miami’s ability to deliver the big hit. Duke’s rushing defense allowed 164 yards on only 21 carries, but the secondary got the best of FSU backup QB Xavier Lee, picking him off three times, once for a touchdown.
Advantage: MIAMI

D-LINE: Calais Campbell recovered a fumble and feeds off the energy of the crowd. Miami’s front four shut down FIU’s rushing game and performed especially well deflecting passes. Redshirt freshman Vince Oghobaase had the shining play with a safety for Duke’s D-Line.
Advantage: MIAMI

LINEBACKERS: Michael Tauiliili at linebacker has been the most productive for the Blue Devils with 47 tackles, seven for losses. Tavares Gooden nearly had Miami’s third interception of the night, but the unit shut down the run and hit anything in sight coming across the flats.
Advantage: MIAMI

SECONDARY: Against a pass-oriented offense, Miami’s secondary shined bright, holding FIU’s offense to only 86 passing yards and two interceptions. Cornerback John Talley leads Duke with four interceptions, including two against FSU with one resulting in a touchdown.
Advantage: MIAMI

SPECIAL TEAMS: Besides Peattie’s missed field goal, the return unit got some nice yardage. Rashaun Jones performed well on returns replacing Bruce Johnson after he was ejected. Colin McCarthy got Miami’s first special teams block of the year.
Duke’s place kicker Joe Surgan had an extra point blocked a returned for a score, but also made a 40-yard field goal. Go figure.
Advantage: MIAMI

Rodolfo Tomarchio may be contacted at

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

After just one match together, freshman Adria Soriano and senior Christian Langmo earned a top-50 ra ...