Lake Osceola walk helps fund myeloma research

When Denise Vidot discovered her father was diagnosed with myeloma, a cancer of the blood caused by cells in the bone marrow, she decided to raise money for the disease and educate the community by sponsoring a walk around Lake Osceola.

“When I started asking people if they knew about myeloma no one did,” said Vidot, president of the Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority. “So I felt a walk would be the best way to spread awareness.”

Vidot hosted a walk for myeloma last year which brought in about 50 participants. This year, Vidot had 100 people who pre-registered alone and she hopes that the event will raise $10,000 for myeloma research.

According to The National Cancer Institute, there are over 13,500 new cases of myeloma in the U.S. every year and the disease affects twice as many African-Americans as Caucasians.

“A walk for myeloma is very important for the African community since [the disease]affects us at such a higher rate,” said Patrick St. Arromand, a senior and a member of Brothers Overcoming Negativity and Destruction.

Though most of the Myeloma Walk participants were UM students, others came from the Greater Miami area and other parts of Florida.

“My dad passed away from myeloma so when my wife heard about the walk she thought it would be a good idea to be involved,” Jim Pande, a walk participant, said. Pande drove down from Jupiter, Fla. with his children, wife, cousin and mother.

Pande’s father was diagnosed with myeloma after a blood test showed he was anemic with high protein levels. He then underwent chemotherapy treatment, stem cell treatment and a bone marrow transplant for which he had to travel to Arkansas. He lost about 6 inches in height and died four months after diagnosis.

“Since myeloma is incurable, you’re basically on treatment for the rest of your life,” Vicki Anderson-Ferraro, a myeloma patient and support group leader, said.

The Pande family learned about the walk through the Myeloma Minute Newsletter, and hopes to spread awareness of the disease since few people know about myeloma.

“When we first heard he was diagnosed with myeloma we thought, what is that?” Maudie Pande, Jim Pande’s mother, said. “We thought maybe it was melanoma.”

After being diagnosed with myeloma, many patients join support groups and attend seminars to learn more about the disease. The International Myeloma Foundation provides patients, families and friends with information about treatment, support and notification of myeloma-related events.

“The IMF has been a tremendous support,” Marti Snyder, a myeloma support group member, said. Snyder found out about the walk at UM through the IMF.

At the start of the walk, each participant received a balloon to symbolize hope for a cure or the memory of a loved one who has passed away from myeloma. At the end of the walk, each participant let their balloon go, symbolizing the raising of awareness and spirits at the same time.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...