Sports Briefs

Football

Senior wide out Darnell Jenkins will likely undergo season-ending surgery to repair the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his right knee. Jenkins became injured during the game against Louisville.

Jenkins can apply for a medical redshirt and if granted, can return to the team next season. Before the injury, Jenkins led the team with 13 catches for 183 yards.

With Jenkins out, freshman Sam Shields will remain as the second starting wide receiver.

Tight end Greg Olson earned an Atlantic Coast Conference Offensive Lineman of the Week award following his performance against the University of North Carolina where he caught eight passes for 95 yards.

Head Coach Larry Coker expects Tyrone Moss to return to the field this Saturday against Florida International. Moss is still recovering season-ending knee surgery that occurred during a victory over Virginia Tech last year.

Women’s Soccer

University of Miami (7-5-1, 1-3-1) played to a scoreless tie at the University of Maryland (4-7-2, 0-4-1) on Sunday.

Hurricane goalie Lauren McAdam set the single-season record with her sixth shutout. Elizabeth Swinson, who recorded 5.5 shutouts in 1999, held the previous mark. McAdam saved seven shots to help earn Miami the point.

Miami’s best scoring chance came at the end of the first half. Jenna Levenson took a free kick and her shot was deflected off the cross bar by Maryland goalie Nikki Resnick.

The ‘Canes are currently tied for eighth place in the ACC with four points. North Carolina leads with 18 points.

Women’s Volleyball

The University of North Carolina (4-12, 2-5) swept the University of Miami (6-10, 3-4) last Sunday at the Knight Sports Complex (30-28, 30-23, 30-14).

The Hurricanes committed 44 attack errors that led to the Tar Heels taking an early 14-10 lead in the first game. Ashley Woods and Lauren Rinderknecht helped UM close UNC’s lead within a point (29-28) with back-to-back kills. North Carolina’s Amy Beaver put away the final kill to give UNC the victory and an early 1-0 advantage.

Game two went back and forth with neither team dominating the court. The score was tied five times and saw multiple lead changes. Errors continued to haunt Miami; three consecutive errors helped North Carolina go-ahead 23-17. As a result, UNC cruised to a 30-23 victory.

The final game was dominated by North Carolina. The Hurricanes kept it close early but the Tar Heels pulled away in the middle of the match. UNC won the third game 30-14, taking the match.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...