October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Facts

• One out of every seven women will be diagnosed with breast cancer
  • Every 13 minutes a woman dies of breast cancer
  • In women 40 and younger, African-American women have the highest risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer
  • More than 80 percent of women 40 and under with breast cancer found their lump, according to www.youngsurvival.org
  • Early detection is the best weapon against breast cancer

Ways to lower your risk

– Stop smoking
– Four hours of exercise a week
– Maintain a healthy weight
– Eat using good nutrition
– Limit alcohol consumption
*source: breastcancer.org

Race for the Cure

When: October 21st, 2006
Where: Bayfront Park, Downtown Miami
What: Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation’s annual 5k Run/Walk
Why: Up to 75 percent of net proceeds from the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Race for the Cure will help support local breast cancer programs and 25 percent net proceeds will support the Komen Foundation Award and Research Grant Program
How: For more information or to register online, visit www.komenmiaftl.org.

How to perform a self breast exam

Step 1: Begin by looking at your breasts in the mirror with your shoulders straight and your arms on your hips. If you see changes such as dimpling, puckering, or bulging of the skin or redness, soreness, rash, or swelling, bring them to your doctor’s attention.

Step 2: Now, raise your arms and look for the same changes.

Step 3: While you’re at the mirror, gently squeeze each nipple between your finger and thumb and check for nipple discharge.

Step 4: Next, feel your breasts while lying down, using your opposite hand. Use a firm, smooth touch with the first few fingers of your hand, keeping the fingers flat and together. Follow a pattern to be sure that you cover the whole breast. You can begin at the nipple, moving in larger and larger circles until you reach the outer edge of the breast. You can also move your fingers up and down vertically, in rows, as if you were mowing a lawn. Begin examining each area with a very soft touch, and then increase pressure so that you can feel the deeper tissue, down to your ribcage.

Step 5: Finally, feel your breasts while you are standing or sitting. Many women find that the easiest way to feel their breasts is when their skin is wet and slippery, so they like to do this step in the shower. Cover your entire breast, using the same hand movements described in Step 4.
*source: breastcancer.org

CHECK-UPS

Ages 20-39: Monthly breast exams and clinical breast exams every three years

Ages 40 and older: Monthly breast exams and annual clinical breast exams and mammograms

Companies fighting breast cancer:

– From August 15 through October 31, 2006 M&M’S will sell specially packaged bags of dark pink and light pink M&M’S and for each bag sold will make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, with a minimum contribution of $250,000.

– From March 1, 2006, through February 28, 2007 Oreck will support the Komen Foundation through the sale of their Special Edition Clean for the Curer vacuum cleaner package. For each vacuum sold, Oreck will make a donation of $50 to the Komen Foundation with a minimum guarantee of $250,000.

– From August 1 through December 31, 2006 Energizer will sell AA and AAA batteries and flashlights to benefit the Komen Foundation and will donate an additional $350,000. When a consumer submits three proofs-of-purchase from any Energizer battery or flashlight, Energizer will donate $1.

– For the fifth year in a row, LEAN CUISINEr presents Do Something Good for the CureT. In August, LEAN CUISINE will donate 10 cents for every entr

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...