October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Facts

• One out of every seven women will be diagnosed with breast cancer
  • Every 13 minutes a woman dies of breast cancer
  • In women 40 and younger, African-American women have the highest risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer
  • More than 80 percent of women 40 and under with breast cancer found their lump, according to www.youngsurvival.org
  • Early detection is the best weapon against breast cancer

Ways to lower your risk

– Stop smoking
– Four hours of exercise a week
– Maintain a healthy weight
– Eat using good nutrition
– Limit alcohol consumption
*source: breastcancer.org

Race for the Cure

When: October 21st, 2006
Where: Bayfront Park, Downtown Miami
What: Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation’s annual 5k Run/Walk
Why: Up to 75 percent of net proceeds from the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Race for the Cure will help support local breast cancer programs and 25 percent net proceeds will support the Komen Foundation Award and Research Grant Program
How: For more information or to register online, visit www.komenmiaftl.org.

How to perform a self breast exam

Step 1: Begin by looking at your breasts in the mirror with your shoulders straight and your arms on your hips. If you see changes such as dimpling, puckering, or bulging of the skin or redness, soreness, rash, or swelling, bring them to your doctor’s attention.

Step 2: Now, raise your arms and look for the same changes.

Step 3: While you’re at the mirror, gently squeeze each nipple between your finger and thumb and check for nipple discharge.

Step 4: Next, feel your breasts while lying down, using your opposite hand. Use a firm, smooth touch with the first few fingers of your hand, keeping the fingers flat and together. Follow a pattern to be sure that you cover the whole breast. You can begin at the nipple, moving in larger and larger circles until you reach the outer edge of the breast. You can also move your fingers up and down vertically, in rows, as if you were mowing a lawn. Begin examining each area with a very soft touch, and then increase pressure so that you can feel the deeper tissue, down to your ribcage.

Step 5: Finally, feel your breasts while you are standing or sitting. Many women find that the easiest way to feel their breasts is when their skin is wet and slippery, so they like to do this step in the shower. Cover your entire breast, using the same hand movements described in Step 4.
*source: breastcancer.org

CHECK-UPS

Ages 20-39: Monthly breast exams and clinical breast exams every three years

Ages 40 and older: Monthly breast exams and annual clinical breast exams and mammograms

Companies fighting breast cancer:

– From August 15 through October 31, 2006 M&M’S will sell specially packaged bags of dark pink and light pink M&M’S and for each bag sold will make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, with a minimum contribution of $250,000.

– From March 1, 2006, through February 28, 2007 Oreck will support the Komen Foundation through the sale of their Special Edition Clean for the Curer vacuum cleaner package. For each vacuum sold, Oreck will make a donation of $50 to the Komen Foundation with a minimum guarantee of $250,000.

– From August 1 through December 31, 2006 Energizer will sell AA and AAA batteries and flashlights to benefit the Komen Foundation and will donate an additional $350,000. When a consumer submits three proofs-of-purchase from any Energizer battery or flashlight, Energizer will donate $1.

– For the fifth year in a row, LEAN CUISINEr presents Do Something Good for the CureT. In August, LEAN CUISINE will donate 10 cents for every entr

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...