Sports Briefs

Women’s Volleyball
University of Miami defeated NC State 3-1 (27-30, 30-18, 30-19, 30-16) on Oct. 6 to improve to 6-9 overall and 3-3 in Atlantic Coast Conference play.

Setter Jill Robinson led all Hurricanes with 39 assists and 12 digs, her seventh double-double on the season and sixth consecutive. Senior Sara Duncan led all players with a match-high 14 kills.

NC State took an early 8-4 advantage in game two after winning game one. Miami answered back with three straight kills by Ciara Michel, Frannie Savage, and Jill Robinson. UM kept the game close until the ‘Canes scored seven straight points to obtain the lead 22-15, an edge they would not relinquish.
The Hurricanes then jumped out to a 15-8 lead in game three and continued to a four game victory.

Football
Senior wide receiver Darnell Jenkins could apply for a medical redshirt after a PCL injury in his right knee, according to Head Coach Larry Coker. Jenkins has been working out with the team, but it is unclear whether he will return this season.

Women’s Tennis
Top-ranked Audra Cohen lost to No. 19 Melanie Gloria of Fresno State (6-3, 6-2) in the semifinal singles of the main draw in the 2006 Riviera/ITA All-American Championships. Gloria will face No. 12 Suzi Babos of California in the championship match.

No. 7 Cohen and freshman Laura Vallverdu beat Oregon’s doubles team (8-2) in a consolation match. Cohen and Vallverdu advanced to the championship match against No.8 Kim Coventry and Carolina Escamilla from the University of Kentucky.

Men’s Tennis
No. 3 ranked Luigi D’Agord had to withdraw from the Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Tennis Championships after suffering an ankle injury. D’Agord played only one point in his quarterfinal match against Charlotte’s Roy Sichel before hurting his ankle.

D’Agord’s injury forced him to withdraw from doubles competition with teammate Daniel Vallverdu as well.

Men’s Cross Country
University of Miami moved up to the 12th spot in this week’s United States Track and Field Cross Country Association South Regional rankings. The latest rankings follow a sixth place finish by the Hurricanes in the Auburn Invitational. Alabama leads the latest South Regional rankings. Fellow ACC member Florida State came in third.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the Miami Herald.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...