Sports Briefs

Women’s Volleyball
University of Miami defeated NC State 3-1 (27-30, 30-18, 30-19, 30-16) on Oct. 6 to improve to 6-9 overall and 3-3 in Atlantic Coast Conference play.

Setter Jill Robinson led all Hurricanes with 39 assists and 12 digs, her seventh double-double on the season and sixth consecutive. Senior Sara Duncan led all players with a match-high 14 kills.

NC State took an early 8-4 advantage in game two after winning game one. Miami answered back with three straight kills by Ciara Michel, Frannie Savage, and Jill Robinson. UM kept the game close until the ‘Canes scored seven straight points to obtain the lead 22-15, an edge they would not relinquish.
The Hurricanes then jumped out to a 15-8 lead in game three and continued to a four game victory.

Football
Senior wide receiver Darnell Jenkins could apply for a medical redshirt after a PCL injury in his right knee, according to Head Coach Larry Coker. Jenkins has been working out with the team, but it is unclear whether he will return this season.

Women’s Tennis
Top-ranked Audra Cohen lost to No. 19 Melanie Gloria of Fresno State (6-3, 6-2) in the semifinal singles of the main draw in the 2006 Riviera/ITA All-American Championships. Gloria will face No. 12 Suzi Babos of California in the championship match.

No. 7 Cohen and freshman Laura Vallverdu beat Oregon’s doubles team (8-2) in a consolation match. Cohen and Vallverdu advanced to the championship match against No.8 Kim Coventry and Carolina Escamilla from the University of Kentucky.

Men’s Tennis
No. 3 ranked Luigi D’Agord had to withdraw from the Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Tennis Championships after suffering an ankle injury. D’Agord played only one point in his quarterfinal match against Charlotte’s Roy Sichel before hurting his ankle.

D’Agord’s injury forced him to withdraw from doubles competition with teammate Daniel Vallverdu as well.

Men’s Cross Country
University of Miami moved up to the 12th spot in this week’s United States Track and Field Cross Country Association South Regional rankings. The latest rankings follow a sixth place finish by the Hurricanes in the Auburn Invitational. Alabama leads the latest South Regional rankings. Fellow ACC member Florida State came in third.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the Miami Herald.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...