Sports Briefs

Women’s Volleyball
University of Miami defeated NC State 3-1 (27-30, 30-18, 30-19, 30-16) on Oct. 6 to improve to 6-9 overall and 3-3 in Atlantic Coast Conference play.

Setter Jill Robinson led all Hurricanes with 39 assists and 12 digs, her seventh double-double on the season and sixth consecutive. Senior Sara Duncan led all players with a match-high 14 kills.

NC State took an early 8-4 advantage in game two after winning game one. Miami answered back with three straight kills by Ciara Michel, Frannie Savage, and Jill Robinson. UM kept the game close until the ‘Canes scored seven straight points to obtain the lead 22-15, an edge they would not relinquish.
The Hurricanes then jumped out to a 15-8 lead in game three and continued to a four game victory.

Football
Senior wide receiver Darnell Jenkins could apply for a medical redshirt after a PCL injury in his right knee, according to Head Coach Larry Coker. Jenkins has been working out with the team, but it is unclear whether he will return this season.

Women’s Tennis
Top-ranked Audra Cohen lost to No. 19 Melanie Gloria of Fresno State (6-3, 6-2) in the semifinal singles of the main draw in the 2006 Riviera/ITA All-American Championships. Gloria will face No. 12 Suzi Babos of California in the championship match.

No. 7 Cohen and freshman Laura Vallverdu beat Oregon’s doubles team (8-2) in a consolation match. Cohen and Vallverdu advanced to the championship match against No.8 Kim Coventry and Carolina Escamilla from the University of Kentucky.

Men’s Tennis
No. 3 ranked Luigi D’Agord had to withdraw from the Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Tennis Championships after suffering an ankle injury. D’Agord played only one point in his quarterfinal match against Charlotte’s Roy Sichel before hurting his ankle.

D’Agord’s injury forced him to withdraw from doubles competition with teammate Daniel Vallverdu as well.

Men’s Cross Country
University of Miami moved up to the 12th spot in this week’s United States Track and Field Cross Country Association South Regional rankings. The latest rankings follow a sixth place finish by the Hurricanes in the Auburn Invitational. Alabama leads the latest South Regional rankings. Fellow ACC member Florida State came in third.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and the Miami Herald.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...