Album full of refreshing European grace

Mew first caused shockwaves with debut album Frengers in their native Denmark and most of Europe. The band has a refreshing, quirky outlook on music and they continue to gain momentum stateside with their new album And the Glass Handed Kites.

As the single “Zookeeper’s Boy” proves, there’s nothing at all glamorous about this music as it evokes images of forest-sprites and hobgoblins. Although the lyrics mention ostriches and giraffes, the interpretations here are not meant to be literal. What makes ‘Zookeeper’s Boy’ stand apart from these other acts is its quick-fix harmony that will send you into a dreamlike state instantaneously.

Critics have referred to their music as post-rock and Euro-pop which are both misplaced observations, as the two styles are worlds apart from the staggering melodies that the band lace around Jonas Bjerre’s falsetto.

Mew possesses a transcendental grace that cannot be forged or practiced and such elegance is as pure as stardust. The feeling here is dazed, but never confused: think night gazing at fireworks spelling the bands name in bright lights in the sky.

Marcus Walsh can be contacted at m.walsh6@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...