Sports Briefs

Football

Tailback Javarris James was named ACC Rookie of the Week for his stellar performance in his first start of his college career against Houston last weekend. James carried the ball 18 times for a Hurricane freshman record 148 yards and one rushing touchdown. He also caught two passes for 22 yards.

James beat out Clinton Portis on the all-time single game rushing mark for a freshman. Portis had held the record since 1999 when Portis rushed for 147 against East Carolina.

Safety Anthony Reddick is expected to return to the field this weekend against the University of North Carolina. Reddick had been hampered by an ankle injury this season.

Tyrone Moss did not play last Saturday against Houston and was not at practice on Tuesday due to a medical appointment to examine his knee.

Women’s Golf

University of Miami (322-314-308) finished tied for fifth place along with Birmingham Southern (329-308-307) at the Wildcat Fall Classic in Lexington, KY. Both teams finished with 944 overall strokes.

Junior Jessica Steward (78-79-75-232) led Miami individually with a ninth place finish. Senior Josie Shinn (81-75-81) and Anabelle Paulino (78-81-79) finished 16th and 21st respectively.

Junior Hagen Weintraub was able to shoot a 73 in the final round to finish with a three-day total of 242. Weintraub placed 35th overall.

Amanda Mathis of Mississippi State won the individual title by one stroke, finishing with a three-round score of 225.

University of Memphis won the team tournament with a combined 929 strokes, four strokes better then second place Augusta State University.

ACC member North Carolina State finished third with a three-day total of 937.

Men’s Tennis

University of Miami senior Josh Cohen lost to Jay Weinacker of North Carolina State during the qualifying round in three sets (2-6, 7-6, 6-2). Weinacker will continue to the 2006 Ralph Lauren All-American Tennis Tournament at the University of Tulsa.

Luigi D’Agord, a senior who is ranked third nationally, will begin play Thursday in the main draw.

D’Agord and sophomore Daniel Vallverdu will begin doubles action on Thursday as well.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...