Sports Briefs

Football

Tailback Javarris James was named ACC Rookie of the Week for his stellar performance in his first start of his college career against Houston last weekend. James carried the ball 18 times for a Hurricane freshman record 148 yards and one rushing touchdown. He also caught two passes for 22 yards.

James beat out Clinton Portis on the all-time single game rushing mark for a freshman. Portis had held the record since 1999 when Portis rushed for 147 against East Carolina.

Safety Anthony Reddick is expected to return to the field this weekend against the University of North Carolina. Reddick had been hampered by an ankle injury this season.

Tyrone Moss did not play last Saturday against Houston and was not at practice on Tuesday due to a medical appointment to examine his knee.

Women’s Golf

University of Miami (322-314-308) finished tied for fifth place along with Birmingham Southern (329-308-307) at the Wildcat Fall Classic in Lexington, KY. Both teams finished with 944 overall strokes.

Junior Jessica Steward (78-79-75-232) led Miami individually with a ninth place finish. Senior Josie Shinn (81-75-81) and Anabelle Paulino (78-81-79) finished 16th and 21st respectively.

Junior Hagen Weintraub was able to shoot a 73 in the final round to finish with a three-day total of 242. Weintraub placed 35th overall.

Amanda Mathis of Mississippi State won the individual title by one stroke, finishing with a three-round score of 225.

University of Memphis won the team tournament with a combined 929 strokes, four strokes better then second place Augusta State University.

ACC member North Carolina State finished third with a three-day total of 937.

Men’s Tennis

University of Miami senior Josh Cohen lost to Jay Weinacker of North Carolina State during the qualifying round in three sets (2-6, 7-6, 6-2). Weinacker will continue to the 2006 Ralph Lauren All-American Tennis Tournament at the University of Tulsa.

Luigi D’Agord, a senior who is ranked third nationally, will begin play Thursday in the main draw.

D’Agord and sophomore Daniel Vallverdu will begin doubles action on Thursday as well.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...