Police Beat

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log.
For further information on any of these services, visit Public Safety’s website at www.miami.edu/publicsafety, or contact the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

If you are a victim of a crime, call the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666 or if calling from a campus phone dial 8-6666.

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 28v
2:15 p.m. Theft 1244 Stanford Dr.
6:20 p.m. Theft 1306 Stanford Dr.
8:30 p.m. Burglary to Vehicle 5200 University Dr.

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 29
1:08 a.m. Disturbance 1306 Stanford Dr.
2 a.m. Theft 1101 Stanford Dr.
2 p.m. Vandalism 5200 University Dr.

SUNDAY OCTOBER 1
3:37 a.m. Arrest/Domestic Violence 1306 Stanford Dr.
6:37 a.m. Narcotics 5600 Blk Ponce de Leon Blvd.

MONDAY OCTOBER 2
2 p.m. Theft 5400 Blk Ponce de Leon Blvd.

TUESDAY OCTOBER 3
5 p.m. Theft 5400 Blk Ponce de Leon Blvd.

Public Safety reminds you practice the basics of personal safety.
The most simplistic practices are often the best: Common sense, attention, reporting, locking.

Believe it or not, the majority of crimes that occur on UM’s Coral Gables campus each year can be categorized as “crimes of opportunity.” What this really means is that most of the people who commit crimes here are not career criminals; rather, they are pretty much normal people who see an opportunity to do something, and think they can get away with it. Although Public Safety has proven that it is not so easy to get away with criminal acts, some people continue to try. Therefore, the best personal safety tip is to use common sense and instinct. If something doesn’t make sense, doesn’t add up, or just doesn’t look right, then something is probably wrong. Trust yourself and take the most sensible action; contact Public Safety immediately. Awareness of your surroundings is just as important. The only way you are going to notice that something is wrong or off is if you are paying attention to your environment. Look around, listen to the sounds in the area, smell for anything unusual. Reporting all suspicious activities, all thefts, and all crimes is another important tip. Not only does telling the police allow law enforcement to provide you with immediate help, but it allows crime analysts to study what is happening on campus so University Police can implement appropriate countermeasures. Lastly, remember to lock everything; doors, windows, vehicles, and especially valuables. Fifty to eighty percent of all crime on campus each month is theft of unattended and unsecured property. More than half of all thefts could have been prevented if the property had been secured. Further information on personal safety and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/publicsafety, or through the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.