News Briefs

UMNews

Renowned Mexican author to speak at UM

Mexican author Carlos Monsivais will give a lecture on “Profecias Latino Americanas” at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 10, in Learning Center Room 120. Monsivais is one of Latin America’s most well-known cultural critics and is a recent recipient of the XVI “Premio de Literatura Latino Americana y del Caribe Juan Rulfo” for Latin American Literature and the Caribbean.

The Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS), the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures and the Latin American Studies Degree Program will sponsor the lecture, which will be presented in Spanish and is open to the public.

Pearson evacuated at 4 a.m. Wednesday

At 4 a.m. Wednesday morning a small fire was started in the third floor hallway of the Pearson Residential College. Student residents evacuated the building and were forced to remain outside for approximately one hour while Coral Gables Police and Fire Department investigated. The Department of Residence Halls is looking for anyone with information related to the incident.

Incident causes University Village garage closure

The North Garage of University Village was closed down temporarily Tuesday night after a surfboard attached to the roof of a car hit a fire sprinkler, disrupting the system and inconveniencing students whose cars were parked in the garage while moving in.

ELSEWhere

Former Palestinian militant to speak at Columbia U.

Amanda Erickson // Columbia Daily Spectator (Columbia U.)

(U-WIRE) NEW YORK – A former Palestinian militant will speak on campus next Wednesday after receiving an invitation from the Columbia University College Republicans.

Walid Shoebat, a former member of the Palestinian Liberation Organization who now identifies himself as a pro-Israel advocate, is one of three speakers slated to talk at the event, entitled “Hate, Terror, Indoctrination, Redemption & Peace.” Shoebat also spoke at Columbia two years ago. The other two speakers are Hilmar von Campe, a former member of the Nazi Youth, and Zak Anani, a former leader of an Arab gang who has since renounced terrorism.

The goal of the evening, said College Republicans President Chris Kulawik, CC ’08, is to hear from people who have chosen to turn away from violence.

But some students said they were upset by the invitation.

“I don’t even feel that his invitation merits a real response,” said Omar Siddiqi, CC ’09 and president of the Muslim Students Association. “Any intelligent person on campus won’t give heed to anything he has to say.”

Shoebat last came to Columbia in November 2004, with the support of the Walid Shoebat Foundation, Koach, Netzach Yisrael, Chai Society, Columbia Chabad and Hasbara Fellowships.

He also visited Harvard Law School, Princeton University, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, as well as communities in London and Chile.

In December 2005, Shoebat’s visit to Princeton was cancelled. While university officials said at the time that they nixed the visit because the Whalid Shoebat Foundation began promoting the speech nationally, Shoebat accused the university of trying to silence him.

ETC.

The Study Abroad office will be accepting late applications for the upcoming spring semester programs. However, late applicants will not be eligible for IEEP scholarships. Visit www.miami.edu/studyabroad for more information.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...