From webcasts to album deals

Beginning at age 14, Scottish singer Sandi Thom began to project her rich voice and impress audience’s generations older than she.

Now, 10 years later at 24 years old, Thom finally released her debut album Smile.It Confuses People.

Taking a different path to finding fame, Thom has already made a name for herself not through the usual country-wide touring trek but rather by singing on the web for free. Over the course of two weeks Thom’s web audience grew from 70 to 70,000 listeners.

According to her publicist, UK RCA Records refers to her as “the first webcast signing in major record label history.”

The deepness to her voice relates to Kelly Clarkson, but with a less “pop” aura to the songs and with the album’s folksy and opposing rock sounds, it proves very versatile and can help someone relax after a hard day of classes or even rock out while at the gym.

Tracks like “I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker” entice listeners with its stomping sound and enlightening lyrics, while “Lonely Girl” evokes a mellower sound.

Unlike many albums recently released with their meaningless melodies, Thom writes her own lyrics.

While her adventure to this point has been remarkable, the album falls short in completeness.

Thom’s voice gives each song that little something to make them good, but does not push them far enough to make them all great.

Diana Rubin can be contacted at d.rubin5@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...