Bluesman should stick to the blues

Jonny Lang was an old bluesman soul trapped in a 15-year-old’s body when he released his first album in 1997. Now 24, Lang is a young man singing timeless messages with a new (though not necessarily better) sound in Turn Around.

He’s still got the blues vibe down with a wailing lead guitar that echoes the vocal line in “The Other Side of the Fence.” He’s got soft fuzzed distortion covered in “One Person at a Time.” In the title track, he keeps time as steady as Pink Floyd does in “Money.” Lang proves himself as a maturing artist on upbeat bluesy tracks such as these, but the superficial ballads and unnecessary gospel singers nearly negate the former child prodigy’s progress.

Enter: pop, gospel, and falsetto. “My Love Remains” could almost pass for a Backstreet Boys song with the acoustic guitar picking and whiny vocals. On simplistic “Only a Man,” Lang sings as high as his guest female vocalist that just sounds false, not falsetto. An choir backs him up on “Thankful,” overshadowing his impressive interchanges with Michael McDonald of the Doobie Brothers.

Lyrically, Turn Around is Lang’s message to the world-be thankful for what you have, live for the moment, believe in yourself. And in “The Other Side of the Fence,” he plays off clich

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...