Bluesman should stick to the blues

Jonny Lang was an old bluesman soul trapped in a 15-year-old’s body when he released his first album in 1997. Now 24, Lang is a young man singing timeless messages with a new (though not necessarily better) sound in Turn Around.

He’s still got the blues vibe down with a wailing lead guitar that echoes the vocal line in “The Other Side of the Fence.” He’s got soft fuzzed distortion covered in “One Person at a Time.” In the title track, he keeps time as steady as Pink Floyd does in “Money.” Lang proves himself as a maturing artist on upbeat bluesy tracks such as these, but the superficial ballads and unnecessary gospel singers nearly negate the former child prodigy’s progress.

Enter: pop, gospel, and falsetto. “My Love Remains” could almost pass for a Backstreet Boys song with the acoustic guitar picking and whiny vocals. On simplistic “Only a Man,” Lang sings as high as his guest female vocalist that just sounds false, not falsetto. An choir backs him up on “Thankful,” overshadowing his impressive interchanges with Michael McDonald of the Doobie Brothers.

Lyrically, Turn Around is Lang’s message to the world-be thankful for what you have, live for the moment, believe in yourself. And in “The Other Side of the Fence,” he plays off clich

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...