To buy, or not to buy?

Greg Laswell’s Through Toledo

What would waking up one morning to the surprise that your spouse is gone and never to return sound like? Unfortunately, Greg Laswell is familiar to this situation and produces an entire album based on his experience. His smooth melodic voice that can be compared to a modern day Nick Drake will soon be making big noise this year. With his debut album Through Toledo, singer/songwriter Laswell has garnered comparisons to Beck and Radiohead. Laswell produced all eleven tracks on the album that deal with heartbreak, longing and loss.

Mastodon’s Blood Mountain

Ever heard of an album that is based on an ascent of Blood Mountain in search of a crystal skull which when implanted in your head will eradicate “reptile brain” and transport you to the next phase of human evolution? If this sounds interesting, then Mastodon’s Blood Mountain should be a satisfying listen. On their third album, they take metal to new dimensions as they incorporate each of their favorite styles into a kick-ass album that will give you chills. Each track carries a name such as “Sleeping Giant,” “Crystal Skull” and “Siberian Divide,” which describe events while ascending Blood Mountain- Mastodon created a journey all listeners will enjoy.

The grates’s Gravity Won’t Get You High

Some word associated with the word grate: annoy, irritate and aggravate. These words definitely come to mind when listening to The Grates debut album Gravity Won’t Get You High. The majority of the album is bleak both lyrically and instrumentally, and Patience Hodgson leads the Aussie trio with shaky pipes that are a cross between The Donnas’ Brett Anderson and Karen O. The Grates are just another band that’s riding on the mainstream success of others such as The Zutons, Be Your Own Pet and the Go! Team. Most of their praise comes from their home country, a place that has produced bands such as Jet, Wolfmother, and…well, that’s about it. According to the band, Gravity may not get you high but their music certainly won’t either.

Marcos Colon may be contacted at m.colon2@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...