To buy, or not to buy?

Greg Laswell’s Through Toledo

What would waking up one morning to the surprise that your spouse is gone and never to return sound like? Unfortunately, Greg Laswell is familiar to this situation and produces an entire album based on his experience. His smooth melodic voice that can be compared to a modern day Nick Drake will soon be making big noise this year. With his debut album Through Toledo, singer/songwriter Laswell has garnered comparisons to Beck and Radiohead. Laswell produced all eleven tracks on the album that deal with heartbreak, longing and loss.

Mastodon’s Blood Mountain

Ever heard of an album that is based on an ascent of Blood Mountain in search of a crystal skull which when implanted in your head will eradicate “reptile brain” and transport you to the next phase of human evolution? If this sounds interesting, then Mastodon’s Blood Mountain should be a satisfying listen. On their third album, they take metal to new dimensions as they incorporate each of their favorite styles into a kick-ass album that will give you chills. Each track carries a name such as “Sleeping Giant,” “Crystal Skull” and “Siberian Divide,” which describe events while ascending Blood Mountain- Mastodon created a journey all listeners will enjoy.

The grates’s Gravity Won’t Get You High

Some word associated with the word grate: annoy, irritate and aggravate. These words definitely come to mind when listening to The Grates debut album Gravity Won’t Get You High. The majority of the album is bleak both lyrically and instrumentally, and Patience Hodgson leads the Aussie trio with shaky pipes that are a cross between The Donnas’ Brett Anderson and Karen O. The Grates are just another band that’s riding on the mainstream success of others such as The Zutons, Be Your Own Pet and the Go! Team. Most of their praise comes from their home country, a place that has produced bands such as Jet, Wolfmother, and…well, that’s about it. According to the band, Gravity may not get you high but their music certainly won’t either.

Marcos Colon may be contacted at m.colon2@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...