Tina Fey’s new show gives comic twist to workplace

When Tina Fey left Saturday Night Live in July, it was a punch in the public’s gut. We’d come to expect a lot from her as one of the show’s head writers; with her quick wit on Weekend Updates and even her ability to make Lindsay Lohan funny in Mean Girls.

But Fey isn’t going very far. Instead, she is producing, writing and starring in her own sitcom called 30 Rock, which features a comically diverse cast including a few of her old SNL buddies.

“I wanted to write a workplace comedy from the beginning because my work is such an enormous part of my life,” Fey said during a phone conference. “As much as I love Sex and the City, that was not my life. I couldn’t even attempt to write that. All I knew about was going to work and how to get along with people at work.”

While Fey said the idea was somewhat inspired by The Office, this half-hour show’s got a slightly crazier twist. The title is an allusion to NBC’s headquarters at 30 Rockefeller Plaza where SNL is produced, so it’s appropriately based on the backstage goings-on of a live fictional variety program called The Girlie Show (or as Fey wryly calls it, “a neo-feminist re-appropriation of the Fly Girls”).

Fey plays Liz Lemon, the show’s head writer, while the star of The Girlie Show is her best friend Jenna Maroney, a neurotic actress played by Ally McBeal alum Jane Krakowski. Joining in on the fun is former SNL cast mate Rachel Dratch, who will play a bevy of characters throughout the series including a cat-wrangler.

Hilarity ensues when Jack Donaghy, an overbearing network head in the form of Alec Baldwin, tries to take over the show by bringing in an unpredictable movie star named Tracy Jordan, played by Tracy Morgan.

Despite its funny spin on gender roles, Fey hopes that “women want to see women on TV that reflect them and have their intelligence. I’m definitely hoping people don’t want to see women that are super-duper worked out, because I can’t bring that. And I don’t have fake boobs.”

While rough in a few spots, this workplace comedy has a lot of potential and part of this is because Fey smartly took pains to avoid making 30 Rock sketch-based. For Fey, 30 Rock is a big change of pace from the stability of SNL, along with other changes in her life including having a baby, but she said it was time to take some risks.

“It was an appropriate time for me to leave SNL anyway. I felt like a senior and it was time to graduate,” Fey said. “This a great venture and I hope we do it for a long time. If we don’t, I’ll go home and see my kid. It feels like a win-win situation.”

So what can we expect from 30 Rock? Fey hinted at a love interest and some more crazy antics from Tracy Morgan. And, she added, little blue men in spacesuits. The show premieres Oct. 11 at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

Rafael Sangiovanni can be contacted at r.sangiovanni@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...