Miami upsets No.8 Virginia after losing to Virginia Tech (Online Exclusive)

The Miami Hurricanes (7-4-0, 1-3-0 ACC) snapped a three-game losing streak at home on Sunday by upsetting No.8 Virginia. The 1-0 victory is Miami’s first win in conference play this season.

UM battled Virginia (7-3-2, 2-1-1 ACC) to a stalemate the entire first half and in the early minutes of the second, until forward Rachael Rigamat broke away on a pass from Sheuneen Ta and netted the game’s only goal in the 54th minute.

The goal is Rigamat’s third this season.

After getting her shot deflected from inside the box by Virginia goalkeeper Christina de Vries, Rigamat quickly recovered the ball and headed it through the net.

“We knew Virginia played a really flat line, so the coaches told us to try to play behind them and try to use our speed to our advantage,” Rigamat said. “Sheuneen played a really good ball over the top and I was able to get to it.”

After Rigamat’s goal, the Cavaliers made several runs toward Miami’s goal, but the Hurricanes’ defense managed to disrupt Virginia’s offensive rhythm. Whenever Virginia’s star forward Jess Rosted, who was recently named ACC Player of the Week, touched the ball, she was quickly swarmed by three or four UM defenders.

Though the Hurricanes’ defense was sharp against Virginia, the squad often made sloppy passes on offensive runs. Still, Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro couldn’t be more pleased with the Hurricanes’ effort, especially since UM was in last place in the ACC coming in to today’s match.

“We just beat one of the top teams in the country off desire, hard work and pure determination. Virginia has national team players, so I’m very happy with the level that we played at and our ability to keep pushing for the win,” Taliaferro said. “We could’ve scored more goals, but I’m pleased overall. We stuck to our game plan and stepped up where we needed to.”

The ‘Canes were unsuccessful on Thursday at home, falling to Virginia Tech 2-1.

The Hurricanes were unable to get through the Hokies’ sticky defense throughout the match.

Defensively, they had a hard time trying to stop Virginia Tech’s Laura Beth Puglisi, who netted both of the Hokies’ goals.

Puglisi scored her first goal in the 39th minute at the top of the box. Two minutes later, sophomore midfielder Bryn Heinicke answered with a goal of her own on a free kick.

Puglisi quickly scored again off a header to the short-side left post.

The Hurricanes travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass. to square off against Boston College on October 5.

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...