Sun rises for Schlamme, Sorkin

Television has been on a downward slope for years now, and that’s exactly what Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is about. It’s rare that a show does in reality what its story is about, but from the looks of it, Studio 60 will be the life vest of primetime television.

It starts off like the classic film “Network.” Angry television producer goes overboard when a racy sketch is cut from his SNL-like comedy show, so, he has a heart-to-heart and of course, his on-the-air, insult-ridden spiel gets him fired and puts the show into crises mode. What should they do?

To reveal anything more would ruin some of the surprises but the one important thing to note is the show is what it’s about; it’s about how bad television sucks, and what they plan to do about it.

No one may know more about this than writer Aaron Sorkin. The writer of the critically acclaimed The West Wing, a once great show that slowly turned ridiculous and laughable before it’s final end, is maybe all too familiar with how easy it is to fall into a pit of mediocrity. But, with Studio 60, Sorkin has his saving grace.

His signature dialogue, is often spot-on, clever and insightful. His characters, while it’s still too early in the show to tell, seem interesting and fully fleshed-out.

Mathew Perry, Amanda Peet, Bradley Whitford and Steven Weber are all impressive actors in their own right, and even more impressive with such exceptional writing at their fingertips. Yes, Studio 60 is exactly what it looks like. the best new show on television.

Danny Gordon may be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...