Sun rises for Schlamme, Sorkin

Television has been on a downward slope for years now, and that’s exactly what Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is about. It’s rare that a show does in reality what its story is about, but from the looks of it, Studio 60 will be the life vest of primetime television.

It starts off like the classic film “Network.” Angry television producer goes overboard when a racy sketch is cut from his SNL-like comedy show, so, he has a heart-to-heart and of course, his on-the-air, insult-ridden spiel gets him fired and puts the show into crises mode. What should they do?

To reveal anything more would ruin some of the surprises but the one important thing to note is the show is what it’s about; it’s about how bad television sucks, and what they plan to do about it.

No one may know more about this than writer Aaron Sorkin. The writer of the critically acclaimed The West Wing, a once great show that slowly turned ridiculous and laughable before it’s final end, is maybe all too familiar with how easy it is to fall into a pit of mediocrity. But, with Studio 60, Sorkin has his saving grace.

His signature dialogue, is often spot-on, clever and insightful. His characters, while it’s still too early in the show to tell, seem interesting and fully fleshed-out.

Mathew Perry, Amanda Peet, Bradley Whitford and Steven Weber are all impressive actors in their own right, and even more impressive with such exceptional writing at their fingertips. Yes, Studio 60 is exactly what it looks like. the best new show on television.

Danny Gordon may be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...