Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis

Freshman J.C. Whitner gained a birth into one of the two consolation draws last Sunday and compiled a 3-2 record at the HEB Intercollegiate tennis tournament.

The tournament consisted of two 64 player single draws and two 32 team doubles draws. Whitner lost in the second round to New Mexico State’s Gustave Drep (6-3, 6-0) after receiving a bye to get through the first round.

Whitner rebounded in the consolation bracket and beat Rice’s Filip Zivojinovic (7-5, 6-2) in the round of 16. Whitner moved on and beat Texas-San Antonio’s Nate Avila in the quarterfinals.

In the semifinals, Whitner beat New Mexico State’s Jeff Pfeifer, which led to a loss in the final round against Rice’s Dennis Polyakov.

Hurricane teammate Hector Nieto picked up a win in his opening round match against Lamar’s Emmanuel Oliver. Neito lost in round 32 to Texas-Arlington’s Alberto Agis (6-3, 6-3).

The two teammates, Whitner and Neito teamed up in doubles and reached the quarterfinals before the pair was eliminated by Rice’s Polyakov and Jon Greenberg (8-5).

Football

Senior wide receiver Darnell Jenkins did not practice as of Tuesday and is listed by Head Coach Larry Coker as doubtful for the game this Saturday against Houston at 6 p.m. Coker believes that Jenkins should be ready to play by the North Carolina game on Oct.7th.

With Jenkins out, Coker said that the junior Lance Leggett and freshman Sam Shields would start at wide receiver. Freshman Ryan Hill will move into the third receiver slot and Terrell Walden will become the fourth receiver with sophomore Khalil Jones mixed in.

Left tackle Reggie Youngblood is back and practicing. Coker would not go as far as to say that Youngblood would start against Houston, but he may see some time in the game. Despite Youngblood’s return, freshman Jason Fox will remain a starter at one of the tackle positions.

Offensive guard Andrew Bain returned to practice on Tuesday after a knee injury kept him out of practice last week.

Tight end Chris Zellner will not return in time for the Houston game and is still questionable for the North Carolina game. Freshman Dedrick Epps has been able to work more with the first team offense as a result.

Football Recruiting

Defensive tackle Chris Perry from Fossil Ridge in Keller, Texas will be visiting other universities despite his commitment to the University of Miami. Perry made a nonbinding commitment in June 2006.

Perry plans to visit three other teams including Nebraska, Oklahoma and Florida.

Perry is officially listed as a soft verbal commit to Miami.

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com and Rivals.com.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...