Police Beat

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

Safety Tip of the Week:

Public Safety reminds you to utilize all the free services offered: free security escorts, free bicycle locks, free engraving, free safety presentations and free safety information. These free services not only help you to stay safe, but they help to secure your property as well.

SECURITY ESCORTS: There is no reason for any student to walk alone if he or she is uncomfortable doing so. Free security escorts are offered 24 hours a day. Just call Public Safety dispatch at 8-6666 to request an escort; within minutes a police officer or security guard will respond and walk with you.

ENGRAVING: Permanently marking valuable property (such as laptops, iPods, golf clubs, and cell phones) with your name and drivers license number not only discourages theft, but it makes it easier to track the property if it is ever stolen. Public Safety offers two engraving options, each are free of charge. Contact the Crime Prevention Office at 305-284-1105 to discuss engraving options and to set up an appointment.

For further information on any of these services, visit Public Safety’s website at www.miami.edu/publicsafety, or contact the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

If you are a victim of a crime, call the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666 or if calling from a campus phone dial 8-6666.

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 19
4:58 p.m. 1300 Memorial Dr.
Hit and Run Accident

WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 20
5:52 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon
Blvd. Stolen Vehicle

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 22
12:50 a.m. 1230 Dickinson Dr.
Assault/Battery
3:39 a.m. 1300 Stanford Dr.
Intoxicated Person
7:20 a.m. 1300 Memorial Dr.
UM Security Alarm
1:09 p.m. 1201 Memorial Dr.
Larceny

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 23
3:18 a.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr.
Intoxicated Person
6:05 p.m. 1244 Stanford Dr.
Criminal Mischief

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 5
10:37 p.m. 1300 Memorial Dr. Theft

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...