News Briefs

UMNews

New “Student Wikia” establishes wikis for universities

In a news story released by Collegiate Presswire, Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia and Wikia, called on students to establish communities for their individual universities on Student Wikia. Student Wikia is free, fully revisable and is globally available as a guide to universities.

“Conventional resources, like university websites and brochures, are great for information gathering at the surface level, but for students looking for current, under-the-radar tips and tricks that only other students would know, wikis are the way to go,” said Tristan Harris, founder of the Stanford University student wiki, in an interview with Collegiate Presswire.

Each student-led university wiki will come equipped with an editing tool available exclusively to students of that university so as to prevent outside interference with the students’ collaborative efforts. Various universities from the United States, Brazil, France, Germany and other regions have made a home for themselves at Student Wikia.

ELSEWhere

Army rejects stage sit-in at recruiting station near U. Wisconsin

Kyle Dropp // The Daily Cardinal (U. Wisconsin)

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis. – Dozens of activists held a sit-in Tuesday at a Madison army recruiting station to protest the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, which bars any openly gay soldiers and recruits from the U.S. Army.

After warnings from Madison, Wis., police on the scene, five protesters went through with the sit-in and received $400 citations each for “unlawful trespassing after notification,” said organizer and University of Wisconsin-Madison sophomore Derek House.

House and fellow UW-Madison students John Alaniz and Jacob Reitan organized the sit-in at the east side U.S. Army Recruiting Station, 1781 Thierer Rd., because they were denied enlistment on Aug. 30 after telling recruiters they were gay.

House said the three scored highly on military aptitude tests and wanted to join the armed forces for most of their lives. But, he added, they were not prepared to abandon their identities.

Recruiters denied enlistment to the three men because of clear policies from the Department of the Army and the Department of Defense regarding “don’t ask, don’t tell,” according to Army Public Affairs Officer Sara Micka.

Despite Tuesday’s protest, House said he still wants to serve in the armed forces.

“Our desire for service has not gone away,” House said. “And we still have that desire to serve our country.”

ETC.

Festival Miami will kick off its 23rd season Sept. 30, and will run through Nov. 4. The program will feature 27 concerts ranging from classical compositions to more modern pieces from the Americas, Europe and Asia. Ticket prices range from $8 to $55 per person. For more information, visit www.festivalmiami.com.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...